Priyanka Chopra (Hindi: प्रियंका चोपड़ा, born 18 July 1982) is a two-time Filmfare Award-winning Indian actress. After winning the title of Miss India World and later becoming Miss World 2000, Priyanka has become one of the most successful and popular actresses from the industry.
Priyanka studied at La Martiniere Girls' College in Lucknow, as a young girl and later came to the United States, where she was a student at Newton North High School, in Newton, Massachusetts and North Delta Senior Secondary School in North Delta before returning to India to complete high school at Army Public School (Bareilly). She began college at Jai Hind College in Mumbai but left after winning the Miss World pageant.
Beauty contest winner
Priyanka was crowned Miss India World and later Miss World in 2000. In the same year, Lara Dutta and Diya Mirza, both from India, won the Miss Universe and Miss Asia Pacific crowns, in a rare triple.
When she won the Miss World crown, she became the fifth Indian woman to win the title, and the fourth Indian woman to win in a span of seven years.
After winning the Miss World title, Priyanka became an actress. She first acted in a Tamil film Thamizhan (2002) and then moved on to Bollywood. In 2003, her first Bollywood film, The Hero: Love Story of a Spy released and won her good reviews. Despite being given a below average status, the film went on to become one of the highest grossing films of that year. Her next film, Andaaz opposite Akshay Kumar was a success, earning her a Filmfare Best Debut Award and a nomination for Filmfare Best Supporting Actress Award.
Her next few films failed to do well at the box office. In 2004, her film, Mujhse Shaadi Karogi released and became the third highest grossing film of that year. Her first negative role in her next release, Aitraaz, a Hindi remake of the Demi Moore-starrer Disclosure won her critical acclaim and earned a Filmfare Best Villain Award. Her role also got her a second nomination for Filmfare Best Supporting Actress Award. In the same year, she participated in a world tour aptly titled "Temptations 2004" with Bollywood's leading stars, Shah Rukh Khan, Rani Mukerji, Saif Ali Khan, Preity Zinta and Arjun Rampal.
In 2005, she had many releases, though most didn't do well at the box office. In 2006, Chopra starred in two of the most successful films of the year - Krrish and Don - The Chase Begins Again.
Nikhil Advani's multi-starrer, Salaam-e-Ishq: A Tribute To Love was Priyanka's first release in 2007. The move failed to do well at the box office. Her most recent release, Big Brother also failed to do well.
Priyanka was born in Jamshedpur, Jharkhand, India to Ashok and Madhu Chopra née Akhauri, both doctors. Her mother comes from a Kayastha Bihari family, while her father comes from a family of Marathi, Bengali, Punjabi and Rajasthani origin, Priyanka is a Hindu. She also has a brother. She spent part of her childhood in Bareilly, Uttar Pradesh, Newton, Massachusetts, and Cedar Rapids, Iowa. Her family frequently moved since her father was in the Army.
* 2004: Filmfare Best Debut Award; Andaaz
* 2005: Filmfare Best Villain Award; Aitraaz
* 2004: Filmfare Best Supporting Actress Award; Andaaz
* 2005: Filmfare Best Supporting Actress Award; Aitraaz
In 2004, she received two nominations, one in the Best Debut category and one in the Best Supporting Actress category.
She is the first actress who was nominated both for the Best Villain and Best Supporting Actress in a single year at the Filmfare Awards in 2005.
Star Screen Awards
* 2005: Star Screen Award Best Villain; Aitraaz
* 2004: Star Screen Award Most Promising Newcomer - Female; Andaaz
* 2005: Star Screen Award Jodi No. 1, along with Akshay Kumar; Aitraaz
Zee Cine Awards
* 2004: Zee Cine Award Best Female Debut; The Hero: Love Story of a Spy & Andaaz
* 2005: Zee Cine Award for Best Actor in a Negative Role; Aitraaz
International Indian Film Academy Awards
* 2004: IIFA Star Debut; Andaaz
* 2005: IIFA Best Villain Award; Aitraaz
* 2004: Stardust Best Supporting Actress Award; The Hero: Love Story of a Spy
* 2005: Stardust Superstar of Tomorrow - Female; Mujhse Shaadi Karogi
Global Indian Film Awards
* 2007: GIFA Awards, Windows Live Search & Movie Talkies Most Searched Actress
Bengal Film Journalists Association Awards
* 2004, Bengal Film Journalists' Association Awards, Best Actress (Hindi Movies); Aitraaz
* 2007: Star's Sabsey Favorite Kaun Awards Sabsey Tez Sitara
* 2007: POGO Awards Most Amazing Actress; Krrish
* 2007: AIFA Awards Best On-Screen Beauty; Krrish
* 2006: Style Diva of 2006
* 2006: Sexiest Asian Women
* 2007: Kelvinator's Gr8 Women Awards: Contribution to Indian Cinema
View more random threads:
- Isha Koppikar-- latest gallery!
- Celina addresses Media On Gay Rights Issue
- Poster launch of 'Shirin Farhad Ki Toh Nikal...
- Amrita Rao unviels Jal's Boondh
- Kareena Kapoor Hair Removing Process By Anne...
- Neha Dhupia (Pictures)
- Dia Mirza in saree + other HQ Unwatermarked...
- Amisha Patel
- Sana Khan Celebrates at movie Mental Party
- Genelia rehearse for Miss India 2009