Thread: How To Deal With a Noisy Neighbor

Cambridge, UK
    How To Deal With a Noisy Neighbor

Suffering in anything but silence? Follow these steps to get the quiet you deserve.

To complete this How-To you will need:

Legal knowledge
    Your lease
    Area rugs or carpeting
    Bookshelves or storage units
    Soundproofing foam or cardboard (optional)

Step 1: Assess the situation

Assess the noise level and decide if confronting your neighbors is really worth the possible conflict. Remember, no one is quiet all the time.

Tip: If one of you is new to the building or neighborhood, introduce yourself! This will make future encounters much easier.

Step 2: Know your rights

Know your rights. Check your local zoning laws and town ordinances regarding penalties and fines for noise violations. If you rent your home, check your lease. There may be a clause that covers your complaint.

Step 3: Talk it out

Talk to your neighbors to see if you can come to a compromise. Just be polite. Try starting your complaint with something like, "I'm sure you don't realize it but..." instead of a demanding, "You're so loud; knock it off!"

Step 4: Insulate

Insulate your apartment with curtains and area rugs or carpeting to help absorb the racket. Putting a bookshelf or storage unit against the noisy wall can also help.

Tip: Try installing soundproofing foam or pressed cardboard to the backs of the units for extra insulation.

Step 5: Stage a formal complaint

If matters don't improve, write your neighbors a formal complaint. If you rent your space, submit a copy to your landlord. Consider withholding rent until they take action.

Step 6: Complain

If the situation still isn't resolved, notify the local police, town council, or zoning board. You can even take your neighbor to small claims court.

Step 7: Move

If all else fails, find a new place. It may be hard to concede defeat, but ask yourself: Would you rather be right but miserable, or move and find peace?

Junior Member Array
    Thanks for the tips...i have an annoying neighbour and i'm gonna start taking some action ( I think that i will start by talking to them)

Thread Information