Police in Birmingham have arrested five suspects between the ages of 16 and 28 on suspicion of murdering three men during riots earlier this week. All five are from the Birmingham area, where local residents gathered to offer support to the victim's families.

This is the scene of the tragedy where three victims of Pakistani origin were killed during riots in Birmingham earlier this week.

Members of the South Asian community gathered here to show their solidarity towards the grieving families.

The three victims were hit by a car as they attempted to protect a petrol station and nearby stores.

Their relatives joined a police appeal for more information.

Tariq Jahan, whose son was one of the three men killed, said he was overwhelmed by the messages he received after his son's death. Jahan has been praised by many people for appealing for calm after his son was killed.

Tariq Jahan, Father of victim said "I'd like to thank everyone in this country for the kind words of condolences that I received. I received so much mail, internationally as well, from everyone. I am humbled by the response from everyone."

Police said that five men are in custody in connection to the murder. Although the suspects came from all of Britain's ethnic communities, the violence has stirred fears of heightened racial tensions in Birmingham.

Richard Baker, Detective Superintendent of West Midlands Police said "We have recovered over 400 exhibits. The response from the community has been absolutely overwhelming. Immediately after the incident, a number of witnesses came forward and to date we have obtained over 70 witness statements from people who have provided vital information and evidence in relation to the incident."

Across the country, more than 1,700 people have been arrested, and charged with violence, disorder and looting.

Courts in London, Birmingham and Manchester have stayed open around the clock to deal with the flood of suspects.