Thread: Autumn Leaves

Cambridge, UK
    Autumn Leaves

I came to know Doris Day and her music through my mother back in the 1950's. She loved Perry Como, Nat "King" Cole, and Doris Day. Her Columbia albums were often played in our home stereo in Cuba. Her clean, delicately textured, and melodic voice filled every room of our household. So it is with great nostalgia that I bring you this gem of a song- "Autumn Leaves".

"Autumn Leaves" was originally a 1945 French song "Les Feuilles Mortes" (literally "Dead Leaves") with music by Joseph Kosma and lyrics by poet Jacques Prévert, English lyrics were written in 1947 by the American songwriter Johnny Mercer. With Mercer's exquisite lyrics the song became even more beautiful, it not only conveyed it's message of sadness and longing, but painted a story with the colors of Autumn.

I thought it fitting to use pictures of Doris Day and Rock Hudson as the main protagonists, given their popularity as a Romantic Comedy acting team, and in honor and tribute to their lifelong friendship.

This song is very dear to me and this is one of the most beautiful covers I've ever heard, and I've heard most of them... Taken from the album "Day by Day" released by Columbia Records on December 17, 1956; here you have Doris Day accompanied by Paul Weston's orchestra rendering an exquisite and beautiful version of "Autumn Leaves". Enjoy.

Thread Information