1. Navigate to your windows or winnt directory.
2. Make a copy of explorer.exe put it somewhere safe. make another copy name it explorer1.exe, put it in the windows directory.
3. Download a version of a Hex editor on a freeware site.
4. Open up explorer1.exe in the Hex editor .
5. Search for strings named Start
6. Heres some help with the offsets:
# Windows 98
Offset: 0x00028D6E - 0x00028D76
# Windows NT4
Offset: 0x00028BEE - 0x00028BF6
# Windows ME
Offset: 0x00033DDE - 0x00033DE6
# Windows 2000
Offset: 0x0003860E - 0x00038616
# Windows XP (Enhanced Start Menu)
Offset: 0x000412B6 - 0x000412BE
# Windows XP (Classic Start Menu)
Offset: 0x0004158A - 0x00041592
# Windows XP SP1 (Enhanced Start Menu)
Offset: 0x0004208E - 0x00042096
# Windows XP SP1 (Classic Start Menu)
Offset: 0x0004259A - 0x000425A2
start will be just before this:
There was an internal error and one of the windows you were using has been closed.".
now rename start to another five letter word of your choice like Help
save the modified explorer1.exe
open up regedit, you are looking for this key:
search for the value named Shell and make it equal to explorer1.exe.
restart for changes to take place.
alternatively, close all apps, fire up task manager and end the process explorer.exe, start new traske explorer1.exe and there you go.
if PC dont boot, slave off , navigate to your windows delete explorer1.exe and rename explorer.exe to explorer1.exe, plug back into your PC and there you go back to normal, i assure you it works great!
i posted this bcoz a frnd has sent me a mail asking this tip. so i said it to all.
View more random threads:
- Uninstall Windows Messenger
- What's Thumbs.db
- I need a help --- sHaLiN
- Disable Unneeded Startup Services.....
- Lesson # 47 The Insert Picture Crop & Size...
- Run Commands In Windows XP - Info
- Lg 29 inch ultra wide screen moniter
- What to Do If Office 2007 Holds Your...
- Use remote desktop to connect to your PC...