Purpose brings joy

"Our purpose is hidden in our joy, our inspiration, our excitement. As we act on what shows up in our life our purpose shows up."

-- James King

"There is no more important step you can take than to define your life's purpose. It develops your sense of belonging to our universe."

-- Arnold Patent

Today is Sunday, Oct. 31, the 304th day of 2010 with 61 to follow.

This is Halloween.

This Day in History, October 31

On October 31st, 1892, Arthur Conan Doyle's "The Adventures of Sherlock Holmes" was first published.

Notable Birthdays for October 31

Those born on this date include:

- Dutch painter Jan Vermeer in 1632
- English poet John Keats in 1795
- Girl Scouts founder Juliette Gordon Low in 1860
- Gen. Chiang Kai-shek, the first leader of Nationalist China, in 1887
- Actor/singer Ethel Waters in 1896
- Actor Dale Evans in 1912
- Actor Barbara Bel Geddes in 1922
- Actor Lee Grant in 1927 (age 83)
- British jockey and writer Dick Francis in 1920
- Astronaut Michael Collins in 1930 (age 80)
- Former TV news anchorman Dan Rather in 1931 (age 79)
- Actor/producer Michael Landon in 1936
- Folk singer/songwriter Tom Paxton in 1937 (age 73)
- Actor David Ogden Stiers in 1942 (age 6
- Actor Sally Kirkland in 1944 (age 66)
- Actor Brian Doyle-Murray in 1945 (age 65)
- Actor Stephen Rea in 1946 (age 64)
- Actor Deidre Hall in 1947 (age 63)
- Actor John Candy in 1950
- Olympic gold medal marathon runner Frank Shorter in 1947 (age 63)
- Broadcaster Jane Pauley also in 1950 (age 60)
- Actor Ken Wahl in 1954 (age 56)
- Actor Brian Stokes Mitchell in 1957 (age 53)
- Actor Rob Schneider in 1963 (age 47)
- Rapper Vanilla Ice in 1967 (age 43)

Copyright 2010 by United Press International

Classic Quotes

by Natalie Clifford Barney (1876-1972) US writer
Entrepreneurship is the last refuge of the trouble making individual.

How many inner resources one needs to tolerate a life of leisure without fatigue.

If we keep an open mind, too much is likely to fall into it.

Novels are longer than life.

The advantage of love at first sight is that it delays a second sight.

Time engraves our faces with all the tears we have not shed.

To be one's own master is to be the slave of self.

We know all their gods; they ignore ours. What they call our sins are our gods, and what they call their gods, we name otherwise.

When you're in love you never really know whether your elation comes from the qualities of the one you love, or if it attributes them to her; whether the light which surrounds her like a halo comes from you, from her, or from the meeting of your sparks.
Quote of the Day

Lady Bird Johnson (1912 - )
The First Lady is an unpaid public servant elected by one person --- her husband.

Health and Beauty Tips for WOMEN

Healthy Seasonings

Healthy food doesn't mean no flavor! Here are a few simple tips for keeping good taste in your food:

* Boil rice in a mix of half water, half fruit juice, rather than butter and salt.

* Seasoned rice vinegar on salads tastes like oil and vinegar, but is fat-free.

* Use nutmeg or other seasonings instead of salt -- be creative!

* Don't skimp on garlic, oregano, or other seasonings. Natural seasonings like these are still healthy!

What Your Clothes Say About You

No matter what people say, the season's fashions are not what's important -- after all, they don't look flattering on everyone. Instead of sweating over being trendy, dress in styles that express your personality and flatter your figure. Even the newest fashions can look tacky if they don't fit properly.

Anniversary Gift

After she woke up, a woman told her husband, "I just dreamed that you gave me a pearl necklace for our anniversary. What do you think it means?"

"You'll know tonight," he said.

That evening, the man came home with a small package and gave it to his wife.

Delighted, she opened it - to find a book entitled "The Meaning of Dreams."

Smart Dog

As a butcher is shooing a dog from his shop, he sees $10 and a note in his mouth, reading: "10 lamb chops, please." Amazed, he takes the money, puts a bag of chops in the dog's mouth, and quickly closes the shop. He follows the dog and watches him wait for a green light, look both ways, and trot across the road to a bus stop. The dog checks the timetable and sits on the bench. When a bus arrives, he walks around to the front and looks at the number, then boards the bus. The butcher follows, dumbstruck.

As the bus travels out into the suburbs, the dog takes in the scenery. After awhile he stands on his back paws to push the "stop" button, then the butcher follows him off.

The dog runs up to a house and drops his bag on the stoop. He goes back down the path, takes a big run, and throws himself -Whap!- against the door. He does this again and again. No answer. So he jumps on a wall, walks around the garden, beats his head against a window, jumps off, and waits at the front door. A big guy opens it and starts cursing and pummeling the dog.

The butcher runs up screams at the guy: "What are you doing? This dog's a genius!"

The owner responds, "Genius, my butt. It's the second time this week he's forgotten his key!"

Candy Bar

Little Johnny and his friend Billy were on their very first train ride, with Billy's mother.

A vendor came down the corridor selling a candy bar that neither had ever seen before. Billy's mom bought each one of them a bar.

Little Johnny eagerly tore open the wrapper and bit a bit off into his mouth just as the train went into a tunnel. When the train emerged from the tunnel, he looked across at Billy and said: "I wouldn't eat that if I were you."

"Why not?" asked Billy.

Little Johnny replied, "I took one bite and went blind for half a minute."

Bill Paying

A wholesale dealer who had a lot of trouble in getting a certain retailer to pay his bills finally lost patience and wrote the merchant a threatening letter.

He received the following reply: "Dear Sir: What do you mean by writing me a letter like that? Every month I place all my bills in a hat and then figure out how much money I have to pay on my accounts. Then I have my bookkeeper draw as many bills out of the hat as I have money to pay. If you don't like my way of doing business, I won't even put your bills in the hat."

A tom cat and a tabby cat were courting on a back fence at night.

The tom leaned over to the tabby with pent up passion and purred... "I'll die for you!"

The tabby gazed at him from under lowered eye lids and asked, "How many times?"

The Spell Chequer

Owed Two A Spell Chequer
Eye halve a spelling chequer,
it came with my pea sea.
It plainly marques, four my revue,
miss steaks eye kin knot sea.

Eye strike a key and type a word
and weight four it two say,
Weather eye am wrong oar write
it shows me strait a weigh.

As soon as a mist ache is maid,
it nose bee fore two long.
And eye can put the error rite
it's rare lea ever wrong.

Eye have run this poem threw it,
I am shore your pleased two no.
Its letter perfect awl the weigh,
my chequer tolled me sew.

Fun Things To Do At K-Mart (Or Wal-Mart), Part I

1. Take shopping carts for the express purpose of filling them and stranding them at strategic locations.

2. Ride those little electronic cars at the front of the store.

3. Set all the alarm clocks to go off at ten minute intervals throughout the day.

4. Start playing Calvin ball; see how many people you can get to join in.

5. Contaminate the entire auto department by sampling all the spray air fresheners.

6. Challenge other customers to duels with tubes of gift wrap.

7. Leave cryptic messages on the computers.

8. Re-dress the mannequins as you see fit.

9. When there are people behind you, walk REALLY SLOW, especially thin narrow aisles.

10. Walk up to an employee and tell him in an official tone, "I think we've got a Code 3 in Housewares," and see what happens.

11. Tune all the radios to a polka station; then turn them all off and turn the volumes to "10".

12. Play with the automatic doors.

Fun Things To Do At K-Mart (Or Wal-Mart), Part II

13. Walk up to complete strangers and say, "Hi! I haven't seen you in so long!..." etc. See if they play along to avoid embarrassment.

14. While walking through the clothing department, ask yourself loud enough for all to hear, "Who BUYS this junk, anyway?"

15. Repeat Number 14 in the jewelry department.

16. Ride a display bicycle through the store; claim you're taking it for a "test drive."

17. Follow people through the aisles, always staying about five feet away. Continue to do this until they leave the department.

18. Play soccer with a group of friends, using the entire store as your playing field.

19. As the cashier runs your purchases over the scanner, look mesmerized and say, "Wow. Magic!"

20. Put M&Ms on layaway.

21. Move "Caution: Wet Floor" signs to carpeted areas.

22. Set up a tent in the camping department; tell others you'll only invite them in if they bring pillows from Bed and Bath.

23. Test the fishing rods and see what you can "catch" from the other aisles.

24. Ask other customers if they have any Grey Poupon.

25. Drape a blanket around your shoulders and run around saying, "...I'm Batman. Come, Robin--to the Bat-cave!"

Missing School

The local high school has a policy that the parents must call the school if a student is to be absent for the day. Alice deciding to skip school and go to the mall with her friends. So she waited until her parents had left for work and called the school herself.

"Hi, I'm calling to report that Alice is unable to make it to school today because she is ill."

Secretary at high school answered, "I'm sorry to hear that. I'll note her absence. Who is this calling please?"

"This is my mother."

Courtesy of ArcaMax