Thread: Ur Nik 'name…is ?

casper_fms

Ur Nik 'name…is ?

Ur Nik 'name…is ?

Remember school days ?? You get tagged with some title that clings on to you for dear life right through your existence. Try shaking them off, and you discover it is the most futile exercise invented.

Why think of school days??? Im, at a get together, minding my own business, but in the company of a few……. men. Three very masculine men who refer to each other by vaguely vulgar nicknames, drink copiously and talk about their fondness for "fun-loving women."

Now Honey bunch, I haven't come here to be drunk under the table by a guy named "Bara Soppe." I have come to attend a regular gathering of nice people ahem who drink copiously and talk about their fondness ….and I was brought here by a girlfriend, and she's clearly in love with one of these chaps, so, I'm happy, at least, to toast to that.

The guys we're socializing with go way back: They served in the military together in the pre ethnic war era.. My Girlfriend and I go way back, too. So much so, we know intimate details about each other's lives. Like our names. The same cannot be said for the drinking buddies.

The men are all "machangs," which is a rain cover for the other names that are thrown in gay abandon. The thing is I don't know whether all these people are aware of what their real names are in the first place..

Yet, no one questions his nickname. No one uses any name other than his nickname (My girl friends" man honestly couldn't tell us the real names of the other men in that group that night). And no one really answers questions about his nickname.

In fact, each time I inquire about a name- I'm shrugged off.

There's something sacrosanct about the nicknames, and it becomes clear that I'm annoying everyone when I keep asking the guys to explain each one.

I don't normally hang out with men like this. I should say Men like this. My guys are more likely to launch into a debate about a nice Sinhala teledrama faithfully watched every night than pick a fight at an Irish pub. They throw punch lines, not punches. And none of them have nicknames.

With few notable exceptions, I have never hung out with men who ascribe nicknames to their friends, and now I know why: It's an impenetrably elite, masculine thing to do. "Bara Soppe," was likely not his given name. And he'd probably ignore me, too, if I prodded him about it. A nickname is not just about the moniker; it's about branding someone as a member of your group - and keeping your Inquisitive Joes out.

The monikers I have had as a kid have all been derivatives of my actual name. The most popular being Angiebaby. I've never been a "Pinky" or a "Chootie" or anything cool like that.

Listening to stories about nicknames, I suddenly feel as if I've missed out on a significant social bonding experience. Women don't give each other nicknames. We pour our hearts out to each other, offer advice when it's needed and support each other. I think about how ridiculous the monikers are - and how badly I want one.

Best way to get a nickname, I figure, is to give one, so I work on creating a handle for my girl friend…..Good night Pin head…And Im surprised she got mad…. .

Which also made me think further… are sweet nothings nicknames ???

Like the word " Sweet heart " which is liberally scattered to all and sundry?

I didn't get a nickname. But I guess I don't need one.

Member Array
    kl post... keep it up and thnks...

maxjeolite
    good n nice one
    thank u

am_alive
    Nice post max

mach
    Nice one

fun4ever
    nice

Thread Information