Tens of thousands of grief stricken people turned out Friday to pay last respects to the late Andhra Pradesh chief minister YS Rajasekhara Reddy, whose body was kept at a stadium in Hyderabad before being flown to his native Pulivendula town in Kadapa district and buried.
The body was flown in an army helicopter from Begumpet airport after thousands of people paid their last respects at the Lal Bahadur Shastri Stadium in Hyderabad.
A stampede at the stadium forced authorities to move the body to the airport an hour before schedule. Police failed to control the surging mourners, who broke barricades at several points to rush towards the body kept on a pedestal in the middle of the ground.
Several people were injured, some of them seriously, as police used force to control the crowds. As the situation was going out of control, the late leader's son Y S Jaganmohan Reddy had a word with military and police officers to shift the body to the airport.
Though the body was scheduled to be kept at the stadium till 1400 hrs IST to enable people to pay their last respects, the situation forced the authorities to move it out at 1300 hrs IST.
View more random threads:
- I dream of an Aferica
- [[M]] Oily fish 'can halt eye disease'
- Final death toll set at 173 in China...
- Razia, Sultana of Delhi !!!
- [[M]] Conn. Bride Rescues Family From House...
- 3rd International Conference
- Chile Earthquake!! Help!!
- LN:-21st MAY:-Seoul's sys to detect NKorean...
- Emirates flight makes emergency landing in...
- Felling the pain of the Connecticut