Established for the Czar Peter the Great One on 27 of May in the year 1703. It became the capital of the Russian Empire for more than two hundred years.It then ceased being the Capital of Russia in 1918, after the Revolution of 1917. It also had other names: Petrogrado (1914-1924) and Leningrad (1924-1991 *
Dvortsovaya Square - Column Remembering Alexander The Great
note Employees & Visitors to the Hermitage Museum.
Hermitage museum – As it appears beside the flowing river. Established in 1764 and inaugurated in 1852, the museum occupies five contiguous palaces. The greatest being the old Winter Palace which was the official residence of the czars.
Hermitage Museum. - from the other the side directed toward the Dvortsovaya Square. Commissioned by Bartolomeo Rastrelli in white and green style. The palace has 1,057 halls and rooms; 1,786 doors and 1,945 windows.
Catherine the Great was the first imperial occupant. The construction required more than three million craftsmen,
one of its first great acquisitions received in 1865 –
Madona and the Child (Litta Madona),by Leonardo of the Vinci -
Hermitage museum - the old original library
Hermitage museum - the Raphael Loggias gallery
Hermitage museum – Perhaps the beginning of a new great Russian artist? Who knows…
Cathedral of Our Lady of Kazan (1810-1811), the main cathedral of the Metropolis of St.*Petersburg
Peter The Great’s, summer palace. Actually it is a series of palaces and gardens, constructed between 1714 and 1725
Peter The Great Palace - the source of the “ Gulf of Samson” and the canal to the sea, with sight of the Gulf of* Finland, an arm of the Baltic sea. .
Peter The Great Palace - architecture and paintings
Peter The Great Palace
One of the dining rooms
Peter The Great Palace- One of the bedrooms.
Resurrection church of Christ (known as the Church of the spilled blood of Our Savior) was constructed between 1883 and 1907
Resurrection of Christ Church (known as Church of the spilled blood of Our Savior The Catherine palace, in rococo style. It was the summer residence of the Russian czars, situated in the district of Tsarskove
today known as , Pushkin .Catherine palace in Pushkin – architectural details
Statue of Alexander Pushkin (1900),The poet whose vast knowledge of the Russian language and wealth in its use influenced authors such as Gogol, Liermontov and Turgueneiev