Mexico's Health Ministry has now confirmed a total of 83 deaths from the A/H1N1 flu in the country, three more from the previous report, the ministry said in a Monday statement. The statement also raised the total number of A/H1N1 virus infections to 4,541. However, it said that the rise of the figures was not caused by any new deaths or infections, but just through confirmation of previously reported suspected cases.
According to the statement, only 10 deaths from the new flu occurred after April 23, the day when the government declared a public health emergency, and no new infections have been reported after May 18.
"The flu epidemic continues its downward trend, but it is important to continue with prevention measures," the statement said. The Mexican Health Ministry said that the single largest group of the flu dead, some 23 people, were housewives, followed by independent workers (15) and salaried staff (13).
Mexico City continues to have the largest number of flu victims, and four other states represent the bulk of the infected population, namely the State of Mexico, San Luis Potosi, Hidalgo and Veracruz.