The United States on Monday sought "a strong resolution" from the UN Security Council in response to the nuclear test conducted by the Democratic People's Republic of Korea (DPRK). The statement came as US Ambassador to the UN Susan Rice was speaking to the press here at the end of the closed-door Council consultations, which were held at the request of the Japanese Mission to the United Nations.
"The US thinks that this is a grave violation of international law and a threat to international peace and security and the United States will seek therefore a strong resolution with strong measures," Rice said.
"The (Council) meeting was brief and everybody spoke and everybody essentially took the same view," she said. "We are now resolved to work on a resolution. We believe it ought to be (a) strong resolution with appropriately strong contents but obviously unless and until we have completed the process of negotiating it would be premature to suggest what its contents would be."
"The Council was unanimous in its strong condemnation of the nuclear test by North Korea," Rice said. "We will now get down to work on a Security Council resolution which we believe is the appropriate strong response to what was clearly and unequivocally a violation of Security Council Resolution 1718 and international law."
"We look forward to continue to work with colleagues in the Council in the spirit of efficiency, partnership and unanimity which was demonstrated today, which I think goes well for a constructive outcome by the Security Council," she said.
Earlier, the rotating Council president for May, Russian UN Ambassador Vitaly Churkin, told reporters that the Security Council members "voiced the strong opposition to and condemnation of" the DPRK's nuclear test.
"As Ambassador Churkin said today what we heard today was swift, clear unequivocal condemnation opposition to what has occurred," she said.
However, she declined to give any further details on the draft resolution being discussed among Council members. "I think it would be premature to go into any detail about what we are contemplating, what other members of the Council are contemplating," she said. "I think the appropriate place for that will be in the process of our consultations."