Updated at: 0128 PST, Monday, May 25, 2009
JOHANNESBURG: Deccan Chargers won the championship in the second edition of the Indian Premier League by defeating Royal Challengers Bangalore by six runs in the final here at Wanderers on Sunday.
Chasing 144 runs, Bangalore missed the target by just seven runs and could make 137 runs for the loss of nine wickets in the allotted 20 overs.
Their main scorers were R.van der Merwe (32), Ross Taylor (27) and Robin Uthappa (17 not out) and Jacquis Kallis (16).
For Deccan, Pragyan Ojha claimed three wickets for 28 runs while Andrew Symonds and Harmeet Singh took two wickets each.
Earlier, Deccan Chargers scored 143 runs for the loss of six wickets in the allotted 20 overs after Bangalore captain Anil Kumble won the toss and put them into bat.
However, Kumble’s leg break bowling did not let Bangalore batsmen score freely and he captured four wickets for only 16 runs.
Only Herschelle Gibbs provided some resistance, scoring an unbeaten 53 off 48 balls with three fours and two sixes. He was the only batsman to reach a half-century in the match.
Other main scorers were Andrew Symonds (33) and Virat Kumar (24). Both hit one six each
View more random threads:
- Georgeous Deepika Watching Cricket...
- reaction of love
- Preity's 'Kings XI Punjab' merchandise...
- Gibbs' flying run out of Chamara Silva
- T20 WIN FOR PAKISTAN - READ IT
- Sachin Tendulkar Early Years!!!
- New Afghanistan national cricket team is...
- The prestigious Élan Polo Cup 2013 Final
- Harbhajan slapped Sreesanth (Videos)