When Itís Okay For a Man to Cry
1. The death of a loved one. There are few things more painful that the thought of separation from those dearest to our hearts.
2. The death of your beloved pet. A pet can feel like a member of the family. Whether a horse or dog, the bond between a man and his faithful animal runs deep.
3. When you first see the new life you and your wife created. Many a man has found himself choked up as they cradle their newborn son or daughter.
4. When you propose to the love of your life and she says yes. This should be one of the happiest days of your life. You found your best friend.
5. When you get married. Everyone in attendance loves to see the husband-to-be get a little misty eyed as his blushing bride .
6. When your beloved car or truck, especially your first one, gets totaled. Thereís a bond between a man and his wheels that when severed, can really sting.
7. Visiting sites that pay tribute to those who laid down their lives for others. Whether running your fingers over the names at the Vietnam War Memorial or watching the oil leak from the sunk USS Arizona, contemplating the sacrifices made by your fellowman should make you tear up.
8. Describing a really spiritual experience. Feeling touched by a higher power can be really affecting.
9. As an athlete, after the final game/match/event that you will ever play in. Youíll never be in as good shape again. Youíll never experience this level of camaraderie again. Youíll never push yourself so hard every day. Go on and let it out.
10. While watching any of the following movies:
Field of Dreams
The Pride of the Yankees
Life is Beautiful
Saving Private Ryan.
Dead Poets Society
Friday Night Lights
We Were Soldiers
Butch Cassidy and The Sundance Kid
Itís a Wonderful Life
When Itís Not Okay For a Man to Cry
Devotion to your team is respectable. Turning into a blubbering mess when they lose, not so much.
1. When you favorite sports team loses. I get really into sports. But crying when men who donít know you from Adam lose a game means youíve got way too much invested.
2. When those around you are looking to you as a source of calmness and strength. Sometimes your loved ones need you to be a rock.
3. To the point of irrational thinking or paralysis when you have a job to do. I wanted to strangle Upham in Saving Private Ryan when he cried in the stairwell while his fellow soldier was being killed. When you have a job to do, get it together.
4. When you donít get your way. Little boys cry when they donít get what they want. Men are disappointed, but resilient.
5. When youíre frustrated. Crying because your overwhelmed and donít know what to do is a cop out. You donít have the strength to think of a solution, so you cry so you donít have to think at all. Man up and figure out your next move.
6. In baseball. Thereís no crying in baseball!
7. During any of the following movies: