South Beach Diet FAQ

South Beach Diet FAQ

Below are some of the frequently asked south beach diet questions and their answers.

South Beach Diet FAQ
Question:What is the South Beach Diet
Answer:The South Beach Diet appears to differ from other diets in that it does not rely on low carbs or low fat. Instead, it's purpose is to educate people to rely on the right carbs and fats, and teach them to avoid the ‘bad’ ones. South beach diet also looks at the way we eat our food. It works on the principle that weight gain is caused by sugars and starches being absorbed into the bloodstream too quickly. Highly processed foods, for example, are digested and absorbed very quickly by our stomachs causing a surge in blood sugar and a craving for more carbs and more food.

Question:
I don't like following set meal plans. Is the SBD for me?
Answers:
Following the meal plans on the SBD or using the recipes are not required. The meal plans are great suggestions, but you can change them. In fact, substitutions are completely acceptable (e.g. chicken for fish or eggs for cottage cheese). You can also switch the meal plans around (i.e. you can eat your dinner meal at lunch if you prefer).

Question:
Can you eat any sweets on the SBD?
Answer:
One of the reasons I love this diet is that Dr. Agatston provides solutions for curing the sweet tooth of those on his plan. His recommended treats include:

Ricotta cheese with vanilla or almond extract and mixed with a sugar substitute
Sugar-free Jello
Sugar-free Fudgsicles
Sugar-free popsicles
Sugarless chewing gum
Sugar-free, caffeine-free carbonated sodas and drink mixes
There are many very easy recipes for desserts and snacks on the Internet and in the South Beach Diet cookbooks.

Question:
Why am I so constipated on the SBD?
Answer:
Cutting back on carbs can cause you to experience constipation. Keep in mind that it’s important to drink eight glasses of water a day and this will help with regularity. Dr. Agatston also recommends taking fiber supplements before meals such as Metamucil or Benefiber.