Old Palaces Of Saudi Arabia
Al-Diriyah (Arabic: الدرعية; also spelled Ad-Dir'iyah, Ad-Dar'iyah or Dir'aiyah) is a town in Saudi Arabia located on the northwestern outskirts of the Saudi capital, Riyadh. Diriyah was the original home of the Saudi royal family, and served as the capital of the first Saudi dynasty from 1744 to 1818. Today, the town is the seat of the Diriyah Governorate, which also includes the villages of Uyayna, Jubayla, and Al-Ammariyyah, among others, and is part of Ar Riyad Province.
City of Old Diriyah or Ad’Diriyah is considered to be one of the most alluring attractions in Saudi Arabia. It is an ancient city of major historical significance. It lies approximately 12 miles away from the north western part of the Saudi Arabian capital city, Riyadh. The ruins of the City of Old Diriyah owes its dignity to the enriched historical past, which also accounts for its immense worldwide popularity.
During 1745, a strong Islamic reform movement took place over here. Besides this, in the past, the old city of Diriyah was also considered to be the largest in Arabian Peninsula. However, in the first part of 19th century Turks destroyed this city and afterwards Riyadh captured it.
Currently some of the ruined edifices built of mud and brick can be found over here. Some of the major historic attractions of this old Saudi Arabian city include the following:
* Saad bin Saud Palace
* Imam Mohammad bin Saud Mosque
* Salwa Palace
* Turaif Bath House
Among the above mentioned places to visit, Salwa Palace was once the home of the Al Saud Amirs and Imams. It is indeed one of the biggest palaces here. It comprises of 5 main parts which have been constructed at different time periods.