Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Women aren't as smart as men?

Women aren't as smart as men?

Women aren't as smart as men?
    Professor says study proves it's reason they don't rise to top of careers

Fri Sep 8 2006

By Lance Crossley, Winnipeg Free Press

OTTAWA --A recent study proves it is "very likely" the reason women have difficulty rising to the top in their careers is because they are less intelligent than men, according to controversial University of Western Ontario psychologist J. Philippe Rushton.

The professor -- already criticized for claiming whites are intellectually superior to blacks, and that higher AIDS rates in Africa are due to a more insatiable sexual appetite in the black community -- believes the "glass ceiling" phenomenon is probably due to innate ability rather than discrimination.

"We have to find the truth about the normal distribution in society," said the professor, whose study is published in the September issue of the academic journal Intelligence. "It's not right to simply say, 'it must be discrimination and don't dare say anything else.' One should really look at the facts."

Rushton co-authored a study that analyzed 100,000 scholastic aptitude tests (SATs) written by American teens, age 17 and 18. Researchers focused on the general intelligence factor -- which relates to how quickly an individual can grasp a concept and is widely considered the most crucial ingredient for high IQ scores -- and discovered males scored the equivalent of 3.63 IQ points greater than their female counterparts.

Rushton, who was surprised by the findings, said the results reinforce similar studies carried out by Richard Lynn at the University of Ulster, in Northern Ireland, and Helmut Nyborg at Aarhus University in Denmark.

"We still have to be cautious, but it's difficult to believe this is wrong. But it would very nice to be confirmed by additional teams before we can be 100 per cent certain."
    Click here to find out more!Click here to find out more!
    Rushton said the male-female differences were present at every socio-economic level and across several ethnic groups.

It's only in late adolescence that the IQ advantage becomes apparent, he said, which he attributes to the difference in early maturity levels.

"It looks like up until late adolescence, the females have the advantage over males because they mature faster, which masks the underlying difference."

For the last century, the consensus among scientists has been that there is no difference in intelligence levels between the sexes, other than perhaps men's and women's respective strengths in spatial and verbal functions.

While the bulk of Rushton's work has pertained to race differences, he also published a study in 1992 with zoologist Davison Ankney that claimed men's brains weighed, on average, 100 grams more than women.

Rushton said he knows his findings are unpopular, but believes it's important to find the "truth" about our natures.

"I know many people would like to believe things are different, but when you look at the data, it just doesn't seem to be that way."

Rushton's past race claims about Asians being more intelligent than whites, and whites more intelligent than blacks, has drawn criticism from both within and outside the scientific community.

Senior Member Array
    thts what we r being told in QUran but in a different way....... nothing new...

Senior Member Array
    zara, I appreciate your simplicity in accepting facts....

Senior Member Array
    Quote Originally Posted by Commondo
    zara, I appreciate your simplicity in accepting facts....

really... we cant change facts na.... so y arguments...

Senior Member Array
    I have seen many those who dont agree........especially when something like this is mentioned...

Senior Member Array
    yup...my dad tells me in a very good way.. its not that women are dumber than men, but they are naive... cuz woman always think abt the present, but man always focuses on its future... the reason were made like this, cuz woman can be a mom, she has lots and lots of patients, that a man doesnt have.. ok i dont feel like writing an essay, but u guys get the point...like wht zara said..but yea according to studies, men are good at math and science, nd woman are more at literture and english.. i mean looking at school subjects...i hope ppl dont take this topic the wrong way....that no woman are smart..yes ofcourse we are, but i think the topic should've been written in a diff format.. This is not focusing on each individual, rather its focused on as a whole..there were 80% of guys in my school that had lower standard math classes than me....as i said this focused on as whole group....i should just stop writing now...nice topic ajmal

Senior Member Array
    Quote Originally Posted by Commondo
    I have seen many those who dont agree........especially when something like this is mentioned...
    yea there r many who disagree.... but its of no use na....

i agree to u haily... and women dont have as good memory as men do... and this is already mentioned in Quran... i m agree to u sveety... i mean women r smart in every sense, and even though boys r smarter than gals, they dont concentrate on their studies...thats y they r losers...lolz and it doesnt matter whos smarter, but ur achievements r what matter alot... m i rite ppl???

Senior Member Array
    the thing is that Allah made us different...wht we have the men dont, and wht they have we dont, that why together we complete eachother..if we were both the same thing, that wht was the point of creating a men and a women.. we both have diff qualities, that complete eachother. in order to live a successful and happy life, dont make ur husband do a womanly chores and u, urself act as the man of the house..ive seen couple do that, nd blv me..they dont have good life....

Senior Member Array
    Quote Originally Posted by Haily
    the thing is that Allah made us different...wht we have the men dont, and wht they have we dont, that why together we complete eachother..if we were both the same thing, that wht was the point of creating a men and a women.. we both have diff qualities, that complete eachother. in order to live a successful and happy life, dont make ur husband do a womanly chores and u, urself act as the man of the house..ive seen couple do that, nd blv me..they dont have good life....

absolutely true.... 101% agree with it... u said what i have in my mind.... i really liked ur words... i also dont want to go against our natures... i like gals to stay at home w8ing for their hubbies... etc etc... typical marital life... but we shud be frre to do work if we want to... nyways i m diverting from the actual topic... hehehehe....

Senior Member Array (` (Ajnabee) )'s Avatar
    chalo itni akkal hai app main

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information