Thread: Amrita's wedding

Amrita's wedding

'My little girl is moving out'
    On the eve of her youngest daughter Amrita's wedding, Joyce Arora shares a first person account of their times together and the men in their lives. Excerpts:

As Amrita Arora gets ready to walk down the aisle with beau of six months Shakeel Ladakh, Joyce Arora is a little sad. "The little girl who was with me is moving out, but I am happy for her," says Joyce, who believes Shakeel is the right person for Amrita.

'They have a lot in common'

Shakeel and Amrita enjoy the same things -- movies, going out for coffee. They seem to be smiling and laughing a lot together. I don't see these two [Shakeel and Amrita] arguing. Even if they do, it's done very sweetly and they try to thrash out their problems together.

With Usman [Afzal, Amrita's previous boyfriend of three-and-a-half years], I knew that she had moved on for whatever reason. I am still very good friends with Usman; he keeps in touch with me.

I would say that distance finally ruined the relationship. Usman would try to make time and come down [from London] but it was difficult for both of them. However, Amrita and he are still friends.

In the picture: Amrita Arora and Shakeel Ladakh at their sangeet ceremony.

'I made it a point to know my daughters' boyfriends'
    When Malaika and Arbaaz were in a relationship, I was never concerned. Arbaaz is too level-headed. I used to make it a point to get to know my daughters' boyfriends.

I would always tell them that if they were dating someone, "Please, please bring the person home. I'd rather you met at home than be seen all over the countryside. Let us also get to know him."

If they had told me I'd have told them not to do it [referring to the controversial Ponds' ad that the couple posed in April 2008]. I come from the advertising world [she worked in the marketing department of the Indian Express for 14 years] and I would have seen through it.

In the picture: Arbaaz Khan and wife Malaika

'You'll be surprised but Malaika turns to Amrita often to ask, 'What should I wear?'
    Malaika is an introvert, while Amrita will talk to the walls. Amrita trusts everybody; also, she is a born entertainer. She can imitate anybody, especially somebody with a quirk. She has kept us in splits over the years.

Malaika may have been more successful given the amount of work she has done but Amrita has also done a lot of ads. As a fashion icon, Malaika got written about more, but Amrita has her own sense of fashion. You'll be surprised but Malaika turns to Amrita often to ask, 'What should I wear?'

In the picture: Amrita and sister Malaika

'Till today I cook for them'
    I don't want to sound haughty but Malaika and Amrita were such good-looking kids. I remember when Malaika was born, the doctor handed her to me and I said, "Oh, look at her, she has perfect features." It was the same with Amrita..., long fingers, pouty little mouth.

Amrita would model for us. She'd climb up on the table and do a little cabaret number. We would hang a makeshift curtain, open it with a lot of drama and say 'Tan-tan-taa... here's presenting Julie'. And she would do a little number for us on the dining table. She was a real nut.

I used to worry but they were very sane. There was always someone watching over them -- a friend or a sister or a maid. Saturdays and Sundays were always special. I would always make stuff for them that they wanted. Till today I cook for them.

At work, if I didn't turn up for the office party, I'd explain that I had two little girls. The girls never troubled me. In fact I grew with them. We shared everything. I told them why my marriage to their father was not working and why we had to move on. Nothing was kept from them.

'Raising them wasn't tough'
    Their father [whom Joyce divorced] passed away six years ago but when he was alive they were in touch. I always allowed them to meet him. He was extremely nice to them and very caring.

I never thought of remarrying but Anil [a marine engineer] has been with me for a long time now. He has been a father figure to them and they do look up to him.

My dreams for myself are to age gracefully and to have enough to lead an easy life. Maybe start something of my own.

After marriage, Amrita will live in Bandstand. My grandson [Malaika and Arbaaz's son, Arhaan] is an arm's reach away from where I live. I have siblings staying lose by so I am not going to be lonely, only Amrita's room will be empty. Maybe I'll move into it. It's got a better view.

Senior Member Array
    both of them r waering beautiful dresses... r they sisters?>??????

nyways i like amrita.... she is so cute...

Thread Information