2.4 The lifestyle of' Ali and Fatimah (May Allah please with them)

The lifestyle of Ali (radhaillahu anhu) and Fatimah (radhiallahu anha), who were the dearest to the Messenger of Allah (salllahu alihuwa sallam), was very ascetic. They lived on very little; it was a life of patience and striving. Hanad narrated from 'Ata' that he was told that 'Ali said:

“We went for several days during which we had nothing and the Prophet (salllahu alihuwa sallam), had nothing. I went out and found a dinar lying on the road. I paused for a while, wondering whether to take it or leave it. Because of the hardship we were facing, I took it and bought some flour with it. I then brought it to Fatimah and said: Make dough and bread. She started to make dough; she was so tired that she leaned forward and could not keep her lock of hair from touching the dough. She baked the bread, and I went to the Prophet and told him “He said: Eat, for it is provision that Allah has granted to you.

It was narrated that ash-Shi'bi said that ' Ali (radhaillahu anhu) said: I married Fatimah, daughter of Muhammad, the Messenger of Allah (salllahu alihuwa sallam),, and she and I had no furnishings apart from the skin of a ram on which we slept at night, and on which we carried food to our camel during the day. I had no servant apart from her.

It was narrated from Mujahid that 'Ali said: «I got very hungry in Madinah, and I went out looking for work in the outskirts of the city. There was a woman who had gathered some dirt, and I thought she wanted to wet it. I went to her and made an agreement with her [that she would give me] one date for each bucket. I brought sixteen buckets, until my hands swelled up. After doing that, I brought water and drank some of it. Thereafter, I put my hands like this in front of her hands, and she counted out sixteen dates for me. With those dates, I came to the Prophet (salllahu alihuwa sallam), and told him the entire story; he ate some of them with me.

This report clearly indicates the hardship that Commander of the Faithful 'Ali (radhaillahu anhu) went through in Madinah;

from it, we can learn what to do during times of hardship. 'Ali (radhaillahu anhu~) went out and worked with his own hands to earn a lawful living. He did not just sit around and wait for people to give him alms or charity.

Another thing to note is the patience with which he undertook hard work, even at a time when he was suffering from severe hunger that had sapped his strength.

We also learn about giving precedence to loved ones and being loyal to them. Despite his extreme hunger and the hard work he had done, he kept his wages of dates until he met the Prophet and shared them with him. The most important lesson we learn from this story is that a person's poverty or material wealth does not necessarily indicate whether or not Allah (Azzawa Jal) loves them. The real criterion is fearful awareness of Allah. Our evaluation of people should also be on that basis.

Taken From Book “Al Hasan bin Ali (Radhiallahu anhu) His life & time” written by Dr. Ali M. Sallabi (May Allah Accept his work and have mercy on him)…. For more reference you can go through the book on net.