Prophet (pbuh) on Communication& Science of Akhlaq
One of the most important discussions in the science of Akhlaq relates to the method of speaking with people and the way that one interacts with individuals of various classes and strata, and in addition, observing the principles and manners of etiquette related to other people.There are even some thinkers in the West that have carried out research projects and studies and have developed ways to influence people. These researchers have written manuals and books in relation to how people should live with others. It is interesting to note that most of the information that these experts have compiled have actually already been explicitly mentioned in the Islamic narrations! One of the most important discussions in the science of Akhlaq relates to the method of speaking with people and the way that one interacts with individuals of various classes and strata, and in addition, observing the principles and manners of etiquette related to other people.
Unfortunately however, our talented writers and scholars and preachers do not present the ethical teachings that are found in the Islamic sources in a way that is acceptable to the present day,coupled with practical examples for the younger generation – who are thirsty to hear these sorts of ethical teachings.
Our teachings (on this issue) are not presented as some of the scholars want the people to imagine that this information is based on the initiative (of research) of the Westerners. Rather,the youth should know that in this area of discussion, the Prophet of Islam (peace be upon him and his progeny) and his successors have given us a great deal of guidance.
The writer and great narrator of hadith, Shaikh Hurr al-Amuli in his book Wasail ash-Shia , has narrated numerous traditions concerning the responsibility that a Muslim has and the way that he must interact with other people. He has narrated traditions from the Noble Prophet and the Ahlul Bayt (peace be upon all of them)under the topic of Etiquette of Social Interaction while Traveling and at Home.
The method of interaction of the Prophet with others around him is the best guide (for us) and provides us with the greatest assistance in this area of life. Briefly in this section,we present some examples of the behaviour and mode of interaction of the great Prophet of Islam (blessings of Allah be upon him and his progeny) with those around him.
·He was the first in greeting other people.
- If he wished to speak to a person while in the streets or in a gathering, he would not speak to them while looking out of the corner of his eyes. Rather, he would turn his entire body in the direction of that person and then speak to him and while speaking, he always had a smile on his face.
- If a person made an error while speaking, he would not call him to account for what was said.
- No one was ever deprived of his good demeanor and etiquette.
- If any of his regular companions were not present (at a gathering), then he would immediately ask about that person.
- He respected people of all classes and ranks such that each and every person that met him felt as if he was the most honored person in the sight of the Prophet.
- Whenever he was in a gathering, he never chose a specific place to sit; rather, he sat in whatever spot was empty.
- He fulfilled the needs and requests of those who came to him and if he was not able to, then he would at least make them pleased with a kind word.
- He would bring a special sort of modesty, dignity, truthfulness and pleasantness to a gathering and he never raised his voice while speaking.
- He was tolerant of bad etiquette from those who did not know better and those who were strangers and if someone performed an act that was not in accordance with his nature, the Prophet would not think anything of it.
- He respected the elders and caressed the young children.
- He spoke very little and never cut short the speech of anyone else.
- He never reproached anyone.
- He stayed away from things that had no worth or value to them and listened attentively to the speech of other people
View more random threads: