Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: MIND OVER MATTER by James A. Young

Member Array

MIND OVER MATTER by James A. Young

Short story ...

The drive to Meg's apartment took less than six minutes. Along the way, the cop attempted idle chit-chat but Meg didn't say a word. She kept her head turned away, staring out the window, trying to conceal the turmoil raging within her. But the detective read her like a book.

The traffic light, at the corner of Platt Street and South Boulevard, turned red. Across the intersection she could see her second floor apartment. When the car stopped, she tried to open the door. It was locked.

"Not yet," the detective said, motioning for her to wait.

She waited. She just wanted to get out, to be alone, so she could think.

Finally the light changed. The detective's car crossed the intersection and pulled alongside the curb.

The cop addressed her one last time.

to be continued ....

Member Array
    "One more thing Meg. We're going to need your help if we're going to get to the bottom of this. We think we know what happened here today and we think you do too. It's obvious you're scared. You should be. I've seen lots of cases like this one, mother with bruises; children with bruises. The only one in the family who doesn't have bruises is the husband or boyfriend. Sooner or later someone ends up the hospital or the morgue. I know you've got a lot going on in your head and you're scared.
    It's too late to help Kenny but it isn't too late to help you. For your sake, you need to talk to us. There's a shelter in here in Tampa called ‘The Spring.' It's for abused women. We can get you in there. You'll be safe. You can get a few things together and I'll take you there now if you want. What do you say?"
    Meg just stared out the window and didn't answer.

to be continued........

hmmmmm.... intresting story

coolestnapster
    nice one....but why in installments dear....why not whole at single time

and how r u shainee and ajmal

Member Array
    I'm good napss... miss u so much .. how have u been?...

well the too be continued is to add the trill .. like serial dramas in tv .. hehehe

Member Array
    Finally, the officer broke the silence.

"You think about it over-night and we'll talk again tomorrow."

The door latch popped. Without acknowledging anything the cop had said, Meg exited. The patrol car waited as she approached her corner apartment. Pausing just short of the door, Meg looked up to the second story window, the one her little Kenny had fallen from. It was closed now. The sidewalk below showed no trace of blood. An afternoon rain had done its work. Had little Kenny really died there only hours before? Meg turned to her door.

She put the key into the lock and entered. The detective drove away as she closed the door behind her. With slow deliberation she climbed the stairs, apprehensive about what she would find at the top. When she flicked on the light, nothing seemed out of place. The cops, it seemed, had not torn the place apart.

Where was Duke? The detectives had taken him in for questioning in a different car. She had not seen him at the police station. Would they be holding him or turning him loose? If they couldn't prove anything, they'd have to turn him loose. That meant he'd be coming home too, probably in a very bad mood. She better be ready just in case. Maybe the cops were right. Maybe she should accept the reality of Kenny's death, grab her things and run. But could they really protect her? Duke would come after her, that's for sure. If she ran, he'd figure she had talked. Then, when he got his hands on her, he'd kill her for sure.
    If only she hadn't left Kenny alone with Duke.

to be continued ....

coolestnapster
    me too fine shainee....
    me 2 missed u buddy....

so the suspense goes on......lolzz

Member Array
    hey hi .. .finally we met..

yup the triller goes on ..

Member Array
    She knew better. Kenny was only eight years old for Christ's sake. Things were fine when she left. She was only gone fifteen ******* minutes. ****.

She walked to the window, parted the curtains and looked down to the street below. Kenny never played in that window. He knew better. She had warned him about it. But no matter how hard Kenny tried to stay out of Duke's way, it never worked. Duke took issue with everything. He had to have done it.

A police car pulled up. Out stepped Duke. One glance up, to the window where Meg stood, and he was quickly through the door and up the stairs. Meg saw him coming and cowered in fear not knowing what to expect.

"What the **** did you tell 'em? Huh? *****. You tell 'em anything? Huh?"

Duke grabbed Meg by the hair and forced her against the wall.

"I didn't tell them anything, I swear. What's to tell? I don't know anything. I wasn't here. Remember? How could I know anything?"

"That's right, you weren't here. The little **** just fell out da damn window. It was an accident, just like I told the cops. You just keep repeatin' that over and over again. It was an accident. And don't you ever say a god-damn word about me ever hittin' anybody. Otherwise, I'll have to teach your self how to fly too. Now get me some god-damn supper. I'm hungry. And gimme a beer."

Duke released Meg. His threatening stare followed her movements as she went to the refrigerator. Satisfied she was fully under his control, he entered the living room, turned on the TV and sat down in his favorite easy chair. Meg quickly fetched a cold beer and put it in his hand as he sat down. Then she scurried back to the kitchen, pulled a TV dinner from the freezer and popped it into the microwave.

"You doin' just fine." she heard Duke comment as he chugged the beer.

to be continued.......

Member Array
    She did not move, did not take her eyes off the timer as it clicked off the minutes. She dared not do anything that might disturb Duke.

"Another beer, babe." Duke ordered.

She dutifully complied; then returned to the microwave just as it dinged.

Meg delivered the tray complete with TV dinner, utensils, napkin and another cold beer.

"Sit down here now babe and let's see what they're sayin' about us on this here TV news."

Duke flipped to Channel 13. The 10:00 pm local news was just beginning. It didn't take long for the story to come up.

"Police are investigating the strange death of eight year old Kenny Brown who fell from a second story apartment window this afternoon. Details of the case are sketchy at this hour but investigators have not ruled out foul play. The boy's mother, Meg Brown, reportedly had left the premises only minutes before, leaving the child in the care of her boyfriend, Duke Simmons. A pedestrian witnessed the incident but could not say if it was an accident or not. Here's what, Ms. Nora Jones, had to say."

"I was walking along Platt Street when I heard a child scream. I looked up just in time to see a child falling from a second story apartment window. The child landed headfirst on the sidewalk right in front of me. It was horrible. I looked up and saw a man leaning out the second story window."

"The boys mother, Meg Brown returned home moments later to find her son dead and police at the scene. Her boyfriend, Duke Simmons told police the boy accidentally fell from the window. No charges have been filed as yet but police say they are still investigating."

Duke turned the TV off.

to be continued...

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread Information