Thread: GURU- DO WHAT HE SAYS OR DO WHAT HE DOES

premjipmb

GURU- DO WHAT HE SAYS OR DO WHAT HE DOES

[b][b]WE ALL ARE CONSTANTLY LEARNING FROM OTHERS AND SELF TOO, MANY TIMES UNKNOWINGLY, WHETHER WE ACCEPT IT OPENLY OR DENY IT OPENLY. GURU, IN SANSKRIT (INDIA), MEANT ONE WHO REMOVES YOUR DARKNESS. THE WORD ALSO MEANS HEAVY, BIG, ELDER. THOUGH NOWADAYS IT IS USED VERY COMMONLY FOR ANY TEACHER OR SOMETIMES IN SARCASM OR AS CRITICISM.
    WE WILL TAKE THE DEEPER GENUINE MEANING OF THE WORD GURU AND TACKLE THE BASIC QUESTION : WHAT A DISCIPLE IS SUPPOSED TO DO WHEN A GURU SAYS ONE THING AND DOES NOT EXACTLY DO THAT HIMSELF.
    THERE IS A SMALL STORY. ONCE A LADY CAME TO A MASTER AND COMPLAINED THAT HIS SMALL SON WAS ATE TOO MUCH OF SWEET FOOD AND HE COULD NOT CONTROL IT. SHE REQUESTED THE MASTER TO COUNSEL THE CHILD. THE MASTER LISTENED TO THE WORRIED MOTHER AND REQUESTED HERTO COME AFTER ONE WEEK. THE MOTHER CAME AFTER ONE WEEK WITH THE CHILD AND THE MASTER TOLD THE CHILD : SON, TOO MUCH OF SWEETS IS HARMFUL TO HEALTH. DO NOT OVEREAT SWEETS." MOTHER THOUGHT THAT THE MASTER WILL GIVE A LONG SERMON WITH DETAILS OF THE HARM OVEREATING OF SWEETS CAN DO ETC. BUT THE MASTER SAID ONLY FEW WORDS. SO SHE RAISED THE QUESTION: MASTER, IF YOU WANTED TO SAY ONLY FEW WORDS LIKE THIS, WHY DID YOU TELL ME TO COME AFTER ONE WEEK. THESE FEW SIMPLE WORDS YOU COULD TOLD MY SON WHEN I CAME TO YOU THE FIRST TIME. WHY TROUBLE ME? MASTER REPLIED: YOUR QUERRY IS CORRECT BUT I MYSELF WAS ADDICTED TO SWEETS ONE WEEK AGO. DURING THIS GAP OF ONE WEEK, I GOT OVER MY HABIT. HAVING OVERCOME THE HABIT, I HAVE RIGHT TO ADVISE THE CHILD NOT TO EAT TOO MUCH OF SWEETS. AND THE ADVISE, THOUGHT SIMPLE FEW WORDS, WILL HAVE EFFECT.
    THE STORY MEANS THAT GURU MUST PRACTICE WHAT HE PREACHES. WE ALL AGREE WITH THIS PREMISE. BUT CHARANDAS, AN ANCIENT PHILOSOPHER AND ENLIGHTENED SAINT, DOES NOT AGREE. ONE OF HIS SHORT BUT VERY DEEP VERSES HE SAYS DO NOT FALL IN TO THE TRAP OF JUDGING YOUR GURU AND HARM YOURSELF. REAL GURU IS AT A VERY HIGH LEVEL OF ENLIGHTMENT BUT WHEN HE PREACHES HE KEEPS THE LEVEL OF THE DISCIPLE IN MIND. TO PUT IT IN EASIER TERMS, A GURU WILL ADVISE A DISCIPLE SUFFEREING FROM COLD, TO TAKE HEAT TREATMENT AND TO THE OTHER SUFFERING FROM HEAT, A COLD TREATMENT. WHILE HE ADVISES DIFFERENTLY , HE HIMSELF DOES NOT NEED HEAT OR COLD TREATMENT BECASUE HE NEITHER SUFFERS FROM COLD OR HEAT. WOULD IT RIGHT TO THINK THAT THE GURU HIMSELF ALSO SHOULD TAKE HEAT AND COLD TREATEMENT???
    ONE CAN EXPAND ON THIS BUT ENOUGH FOR NOW.

hemasnair
    new comer...?..welcome to our forum...

yeah new comer with a nice post...thnx buddy

Thread Information