What is 3G ?
Know the technology
Everyone may be knowing that the Apple's iPhone 3G has been launched in India . But many of us are not aware what is 3G. so let's have a brief look into it.
What is 3G?
3G is the next generation of wireless network technology that provides high speed bandwidth (high data transfer rates) to handheld devices. The high data transfer rates will allow 3G networks to offer multimedia services combining voice and data.
Additional features also include HSPA(High-Speed packet Access) data transmission capabilities able to deliver speeds up to 14.4Mbit/s on the downlink and 5.8Mbit/s on the uplink.
3G wireless networks have the bandwidth to provide converged voice and data services. 3G services will seamlessly combine superior voice quality telephony, high-speed mobile IP services, information technology, rich media, and offer diverse content.
What are the Advantages of 3G?
3G networks offer users advantages such as:
· New radio spectrum to relieve overcrowding in existing systems.
· More bandwidth, security, and reliability.
· Interoperability between service providers.
· Fixed and variable data rates.
· Always-online devices. 3G will use IP connectivity, IP is packet based (not circuit based).
· Rich multimedia services.
Apple's iPhone 3G
What are Some Disadvantages of 3G?
There are some issues in deploying 3G:
· The cost of upgrading base stations and cellular infrastructure to 3G is very high.
· Requires different handsets and there is the issue of handset availability.
· Base stations need to be closer to each other (more cost).
· Tremendous spectrum-license costs, network deployment costs, handset subsidies to subscribers, etc.
· High power requirements.
View more random threads:
- Gresso cellphone a phoney?
- Optimus Pultius has 15 Keys
- Motorola VE240 Appears Unannounced
- Nightmare Before Xmas Mobile Light
- Toshiba Launches New Laptops Hard Disks
- PlanOn PrintStik Portable Printer
- HTC Max 4G - From Russia With Love
- Corsair Flash Voyager USB drive (2)
- iPhone to get iD Software Goodie
- Rogers BlackBerry Bold Going For $199.99