Thread: Billie Jean - Michael Jackson

Billie Jean - Michael Jackson

Billie Jean - Michael Jackson
    "Billie Jean" is a 1983 hit single from Michael Jackson's Thriller album. A number-one hit on the Billboard Hot 100, the song was also the number-one R&B single for nine weeks in the United States and is one of Jackson's most critically acclaimed songs. It was voted best single of the year in The Village Voice Pazz & Jop critics' poll, and received two Grammy Awards in 1984 in the categories Best Male R&B Vocal Performance and Best New Rhythm & Blues Song. It was nominated for Record of the Year and Song of the Year, along with "Beat It", at the Grammy Awards of 1984. In 2005, Blender magazine recognized "Billie Jean" as the greatest song since 1980. It's also his best-selling single worldwide, with 5.25 million copies sold, and contributed to the immense sales of the album Thriller.

On March 6, 2006, "Billie Jean" was re-released as a single as part of Visionary - The Video Singles box set. It went on to become the highest charting UK Visionary single, reaching #11 on the UK Top 40.

Largely because of the impact of the video, and the live performance in which Jackson dressed in a black fedora, a sparkly black jacket and a single white sequin glove while performing his most famous dance step, the moonwalk, and the overall haunting nature of the song itself, "Billie Jean" is regarded by some as his signature song. The song's lyrics allude to a girl who claims that Jackson was the father of her child.

Released: January 3, 1983
    Recorded: 1982
    Genre: Dance-pop, Rock
    Length: 4:53
    Label: Epic Records
    Writer(s): Michael Jackson
    Producer: Quincy Jones, Michael Jackson
    Certification: Double Platinum

Billie Jean - Lyrics - Michael Jackson

Billie Jean - Lyrics - Michael Jackson
    She was more like a beauty queen from a movie scene
    I said don't mind, but what do you mean I am the one
    Who will dance on the floor in the round
    She said I am the one, who will dance on the floor in the round

She told me her name was Billie Jean, as she caused a scene
    Then every head turned with eyes that dreamed of being the one
    Who will dance on the floor in the round

People always told me be careful of what you do
    And don't go around breaking young girls' hearts
    And mother always told me be careful of who you love
    And be careful of what you do 'cause the lie becomes the truth

Billie Jean is not my lover
    She's just a girl who claims that I am the one
    But the kid is not my son
    She says I am the one, but the kid is not my son

For forty days and for forty nights
    The law was on her side
    But who can stand when she's in demand
    Her schemes and plans
    'Cause we danced on the floor in the round
    So take my strong advice, just remember to always think twice
    (Do think twice)

She told my baby we'd danced till three, then she looked at me
    Then showed a photo my baby cried his eyes were like mine (oh, no!)
    'Cause we danced on the floor in the round, baby

People always told me be careful of what you do
    And don't go around breaking young girls' hearts
    She came and stood right by me
    Then the smell of sweet perfume
    This happened much too soon
    She called me to her room

She says I am the one

Billie Jean is
    Billie Jean is
    Billie Jean is

Not my lover
    Not my lover
    Not my lover
    Not my lover

Billie Jean is not my lover (she is just a girl)

Billie Jean is
    Billie Jean is

Billie Jean is
    Billie Jean is

Billie Jean is
    Billie Jean is
    Billie Jean - Michael Jackson - SongFacts
    This is about a girl who claimed that Jackson was the father of her child. Jackson based it on a woman who used to stalk him, writing him letters about a son she thought was his. Jackson had a hard time dealing with his stalker and became more reclusive as a result.

Quincy Jones produced this. In his autobiography Moonwalk, Jackson said that Jones wanted to change the title to "Not My Lover" because he thought it would be confused with tennis star Billie Jean King.

Michael Jackson also says about this song in Moonwalk, "A musician knows hit material. It has to feel right. Everything has to feel in place. It fulfills you and it makes you feel good. You know it when you hear it. That's how I felt about 'Billie Jean.' I knew it was going to be big while I was writing it. I was really absorbed in that song. One day during a break in a recording session I was riding down the Ventura Freeway with Nelson Hayes, who was working with me at the time. 'Billie Jean' was going around in my head and that's all I was thinking about. We were getting off the freeway when a kid on a motorcycle pulls up to us and says, 'Your car's on fire.' Suddenly we noticed the smoke and pulled over and the whole bottom of the Rolls-Royce was on fire. That kid probably saved our lives. If the car had exploded, we could have been killed. But I was so absorbed by this tune floating in my head that I didn't even focus on the awful possibilities until later."

According to Rolling Stone magazine's Top 500 songs, Jackson came up with the song's rhythm track on his home drum machine and nailed the vocals in one take.

This won the 1983 Grammy Award for Best Rhythm & Blues Vocal Performance and Best Rhythm & Blues Song for the writer Michael Jackson. (thanks, Edward Pearce - Ashford, Kent, England, for above 4)

This broke the color barrier on MTV. It was the first video by a black artist to get regular airplay on the channel, which debuted August 1, 1981.

This was the second of 7 US top 10 hits from the Thriller album. "The Girl Is Mine" was released before this.

The video showcased Jackson's signature dance moves that he became famous for. His talents as a dancer helped make him a huge concert draw and a star on MTV. High-energy dancing was a huge part of his act, and artists like New Kids on the Block and his sister Janet followed his lead and made dance moves as big a part of their shows as singing. This trend continued as groups like 'N Sync and The Backstreet boys followed suit. Jackson choreographed the dance moves himself.

On the 1983 TV special 25 Years Of Motown, Jackson did The Moonwalk for the first time while performing this.

Jackson shot a Pepsi commercial in 1984 performing this with the lyrics altered to sing the praises of the soda. During the shoot, his hair caught fire from the pyrotechnics and he was rushed to the hospital. The commercial aired on the Grammy awards.

The UPC code on the album cover contained 7 digits that were rumored to be Jackson's telephone number. People with that number in many different area codes got swamped with annoying calls.

This inspired an "answer song" - Lydia Murdock's 1983 disco hit "Superstar." In "Superstar," Murdock adopts the persona of Billie Jean, telling her side of the story. No word on if Jackson has heard it. (thanks, Adam - Dewsbury, England)

According to Q magazine, March 2008, Michael Jackson wrote this in his home studio in Encino. He worked for 3 weeks on the bass line alone.

Producer and record mogul Antonio "LA" Reid told Rolling Stone magazine April 15, 2004: "Billie Jean is the most important record he's made, not only because of its commercial success but because of the musical depth of the record. It has more hooks in it than anything I've ever heard. Everything in that song was catchy, and every instrument was playing a different hook. You could separate it into 12 different musical pieces and I think you'd have 12 different hits. Every day, I look for that kind of song." (thanks, Bertrand - Paris, France)

Former Soundgarden lead singer Chris Cornell recorded a stripped-down, emotional version of this song for his 2007 solo album Carry On. In March, 2008, David Cook performed a similar version on American Idol, drawing rave reviews from the judges and some criticism from viewers who felt he ripped off Cornell's version. (thanks, Bertrand - Paris, France)

Quincy Jones discussed this song in a radio interview printed in Radio Times. The Thriller producer recalled: "The intro to 'Billie Jean' was so long you could shave during it. I said we had to get to the melody sooner…but Michael said that was what made him want to dance. And when Michael Jackson says something makes him want to dance, you don't argue, so he won."

saagar
    micheal jackson..... ah the coolest dancer....!!

Thread Information