Some people go off running in the other direction once they hear the word "contour". A lot of women can benefit from contouring when it is done right and in the right places. You do not have to completely alter your face to make you look stick thin, that would only make you look ridiculous.
In our line of work, contouring is crucial so that the model, bride, or celebrity will have dimension on camera or on tv. Otherwise, they will just look flat because of the harsh lights.
Let's start with contouring (above photo). I broke down Carolina's face in 6 parts so that I can show you important points that need contouring. When you contour, use a nice taupe shade or a deep bronze color. Try to avoid using bronzers when you are contouring, you'll just look too orange! When you tan, you do not go bronze in these places right? So use a matte taupe shade or a light brown matte blush.
1. The temple. The purpose is to make your face a little more oval in shape. As you might know already, the oval shape is the ideal shape for makeup application.
2. The nose. Try avoiding making your nose mega-narrow. This would completely alter your face. Imagine the shape and size of your face with a narrow nose. You will look too artificial! So use this technique just to define your nose so that you wouldn't look flat in pictures.
3. Cheekbones. This is my favorite part to contour. It really makes a lot of difference! It can make you look like you've lost 5-10 lbs! Hahaha! Just be careful not to pile it on, otherwise, you will look like you have a streak of dirt on your face. Just make it subtle and blend!
4. Jaw line. This defines your face more. It can easily disguise double chins and it really separates your face from your neck. It also adds shape to your whole face.
5. Eye Crease. The purpose of contouring this part is to create the illusion of depth in the eyes. It adds drama to any makeup, and make your eyes pop out and really 3 dimensional.
6. Inner corners of the eyes. Make your nose appear narrower and your eyes deeper by adding shadow on this area.