Thread: Volunteer Program: My Special Moment

Volunteer Program: My Special Moment

Volunteer Program: My Special Moment
    Name:  01.jpg
Views: 711
Size:  67.2 KB
    Shaukat Khanum Memorial Cancer Hospital and Research Centre is doing an amazing job to help cancer patients. I saw the hygiene and was astonished to see how minor things contribute in killing infections. I use to sanitize my hands before I use to meet patients, I saw people wearing rubber shoes because they are easy to clean, the doctors disposed syringes properly after using them, nurses changing bed sheets after a patient leaves, the instructions given to me on the orientation day that how I and other volunteer members have to behave and especially how we are supposed to keep the surroundings clean and hygienic.
    The staff treats every patient in the same pleasing way. The tone of doctors and even nurses towards patients is persuasive. Moreover, the Hospital is organized in every way possible.

Views: 389
Size:  76.5 KB
    Some events and experiences leave an everlasting impact on our minds as well as our lives. Being here at Shaukat Khanum Memorial Cancer Hospital and Research Centre, working with all the humble, affectionate and efficient staff, looking after the most beautiful little children. I have come across with all their little mischiefs. I am extremely overwhelmed when I see these little children striving hard to live on with such bravery and courage as it missing in most adults too. There is no such moment which has not inspired me. Looking at all those children easily mixing up with us, laughing, playing, unaware of the fact where they would survive or not simply dazzled me and make me realise that “hope” really does make this world go on.
    Name:  03.jpg
Views: 361
Size:  91.2 KB
    Being a volunteer at Shaukat Khanum Memorial Cancer Hospital and Research Centre was a great experience. I learnt that “health is wealth” and got a chance to help the children suffering from cancer. Every second spent at SKMCH&RC was very special to me, but the most special and memorable moment was when a 1 year old child (Abdullah) asked me through his actions to pick him up. That moment really touched my heart and I felt how attached he had become with me. Another boy (Ahmad) was very shy. He never talked to me but one day when I was reading a story to him, he actually started talking to me. That was a big achievement for me.
    Name:  04.jpg
Views: 374
Size:  84.4 KB
    The last 10 days at Shaukat Khanum Memorial Cancer Hospital and Research Centre were great. In these days, I realized that there are people who need our love and attention. I came across one of the patients who was suffering from brain tumour. His name is Aswer. He is a 3 year old boy who is full of life and likes to do his work without any help. One thing I loved the most was, that he wanted his parents to be happy forever. I would love to do this volunteer work again if I ever get another opportunity.
    Name:  05.jpg
Views: 377
Size:  56.8 KB
    During my volunteer work at Shaukat Khanum Memorial Cancer Hospital and Research Centre, I met a 10 years old girl Iqra. At that time she was weeping and kept saying that ‘I want to go back to home”, “I have to meet my grandmother”. Well, I talked to her and also explained to her that when she returned home she should take her meals and medicine on time. After sometime she got normal and started coloring. While coloring I asked her to tell me the first thing she would do when she returns home. She said in a vibrant voice that “I will play with my younger sister”. Her enthusiasm brought tears in my eyes and I really prayed for her. I also thought it was so sweet of her to agree to follow my instructions. When we met again after two days she was very happy and told me that she was going to be discharged. May Allah bless her with her with good health.
    Name:  06.jpg
Views: 381
Size:  102.7 KB
    The experience working with Shaukat Khanum Memorial Cancer Hospital and Research Centre was wonderful. I can now say that I have spent my vacations for something good. My special moment was with a patient, Ahmed. He was in the Chemotherapy Bay and not ready to take his injection. I went to him for coloring and he was crying and pleading to his mother to send the nurse away. I talked to him and encouraged him to take his injections otherwise he would feel weak and wouldn’t be able to color. He listened to me very carefully and agreed to take the injection. It was a really special moment for me.
    Name:  07.jpg
Views: 364
Size:  94.1 KB
    My experience at Shaukat Khanum Memorial Cancer Hospital and Research Centre was a very good and quite different. It has greatly enhanced my interactive abilities and has surely changed my attitude towards life. This program focused on communicating with kids affected by cancer. I was deputed in the chemotherapy bay where I had the difficult task to boost the morale of the very depressed cancer patients who were to receive chemotherapy. My special moment was when after almost 1 week of not being able to get much response from a 9 year old, eventually he made friends and waited to meet me eagerly and himself extended his hand to say hello. He even remembered my full name! One day I saw him tugging at his mother’s sleeve and pointing at me. That indeed was a blissful moment for me. Also another 10 year old became quite attached to me as we shared the same craze about Ben 10! My special moment was when 2 days later he bought 2 Ben 10 bey blades, one for me and another for himself. His mother told me that he especially went to the market to buy one for me. This fabulous summer program in SKMCH&RC is surely one I will never forget,
    Name:  08.jpg
Size:  70.4 KB
    Working at Shaukat Khanum Memorial Cancer Hospital and Research Centre has been one of the greatest experiences of my life. I realized how lucky I am to live such a comfortable life while these poor kids are suffering. My special moment was when I was coloring a picture and a pathani girl almost my age, came and said that the picture was beautiful and she’d love to have it. When I gave it to her she thanked me and said that we were friends from now onwards. She also said that when she goes back to her home in Baluchistan, she will bring back a necklace for me.
    Name:  09.jpg
Views: 348
Size:  77.5 KB
    During the last two weeks of my internship at Shaukat Khanum Memorial Cancer Hospital and Research Centre, I learnt a lot of valuable things and have made many wonderful memories. My special moment was when I had to spend time with an in-patient called Ayesha. She was a pleasure to meet, as she was full of life. While playing with her, I could see a glow in her eyes that made me think that there are many tests in life that Allah gives us and seeing brave these children were made me more confident. She touched my heart, when she was waiting for me the next day! I would love to experience this again, if I get another opportunity.
    Name:  10.jpg
Views: 368
Size:  74.8 KB
    Special moments have a short period but their effect remains for long time especially for those who have seen, enjoyed and felt it. Similarly, I had great time with a baby boy suffering from tough time in Shaukat Khanum Memorial Cancer Hospital and Research Centre. His disease did not allow him to respond but I continued my conversation to him as well as his mother, sitting aside. After sometime, when I offered him a balloon, he opened his eyes, took it and smiled. That moment became my special moment and it became more special when his mother good bye me with lots of thanks, prayers and best wishes.
    Name:  11.jpg
Views: 373
Size:  67.9 KB
    I have seen some very different people here, people from Pakistan and also from different parts of Afghanistan. The one moment I will never forget is the one with a patient from Afghanistan. He only spoke Pashto and it was very difficult for him and his father to communicate with the doctors. But when I went to him and started talking to him in Pashto, he felt at ease and was sharing some home town stories with me as well. His father had to ask the doctor about his medicine, but he was not able to convey his message nor was he getting anything from the doctor. He then took me to the doctor, and I made the communication possible for him. I really felt happy and proud that I made a child smile and solved his father’s problem as well.

Last edited by mrina; 07-29-2013 at 09:41 AM.

Views: 346
Size:  117.9 KB
    Our ten days at SKMCH&RC were awesome and went by so instantly. The patient I will always remember as her name is worth it, would be Shanza Marium, May Allah bless her with health and strength. Forgetting all the long tiring treatment, we enjoyed a lot leaving with a promise to meet again soon. Now whenever we come in eye contact gentle smiles are exchanged. To see a beautiful curve around her face pays me something more than I really deserve.
    Name:  13.jpg
Views: 365
Size:  80.9 KB
    Volunteering at SKMCH&RC was one of the best experiences of my life. It was a pleasure for me to spend time with special children. The moment that touched me the most was with a girl, Shaheen. She had lost her eyesight for the last four months. She was sixteen years old and was such a brave girl that in spite of her blindness she always kept a smile on her face and was very happy with her life, thanking Allah for everything. To see her patience with her disease will always memorable for me. This experience has shown me the worth of my life.
    Name:  14.jpg
Views: 368
Size:  58.2 KB
    My experience with Shaukat Khanum Hospital proved to be the most memorable event of my life that I will always cherish. There were many events that occurred during my internship but the most special one was with a patient from the chemotherapy department and I quote it below. The child was weak, feeble and depressed as he entered the gift shop. I noticed a small bandage and some cotton on his arm. Moving towards me, he extended a small hand and I shook it with enthusiasm. He sat on the cushions and looked around helplessly. Desperate for something to do for the child, I took out the ludo and set it up. When I offered him the dice, his face lit up with excitement, all his tension was forgotten. We played for about an hour. Eventually I won but this one hour changed the patient’s mood all together. He was no longer depressed. As he moved out of the shop, I felt light and blissful. It was almost as if the patient’s smile had finished all my troubles too.
    Name:  15.jpg
Views: 362
Size:  124.3 KB
    It was a great honor to be a part of the Summer Volunteer Programme at SKMCH. It gave me a sublime opportunity to do my bit for a great cause. It was quite traumatic to see innocent kids being victims of a deadly disease like cancer. But simultaneously it was great to see them being treated under a highly advanced and healthy environment. Working at SKMT has helped me take a closer look at life, which I was never able to do so before. My special moment was with a small girl named Shanza. She liked my bangles so I told her to wait while I brought some for her too. When I returned, she was nowhere to be found. I remained on the lookout for her for 3 days and eventually when we saw each other, I leapt forward to give her a hug. She whispered, ‘Baji aap kahan chali gai thee? Mein apko kab se dhoond rahi thee. Mujhay laga kay aap mujhay milay baghair hi chali gai’. Tears rolled out of my eyes and not knowing what to do I gave her my ice-cream. I missed seeing her at the Hospital the remaining days but it was comforting to know that she was getting better.
    Name:  16.jpg
Views: 350
Size:  57.0 KB
    The day I entered Shaukat Khanum Memorial Cancer Hospital as a volunteer, every moment thereafter became very special. The time I spent with kids was the most memorable time of my life that will remain fresh in my heart for many years to come. I interacted with many kids but one child “Zabiullah” has made an indefinable space in my heart. His words “api ap kaal bi aao gi na?” were heartwarming and took my love for him to another notch. Playing ludo with Zabiullah, coloring together and chit chatting were the most indenting and the most acquisitive memories of my life.
    Name:  17.jpg
Views: 363
Size:  56.9 KB
    On my first day at Shaukat Khanum Memorial Cancer Hospital I was assigned to an in-patient, Baby Khadija. I had just walked in to her room when she starts smiling at me. Khadija’s Mother was shocked. it was the first time in two weeks that the baby had smiled. The mother of another child in the same room agreed, for two weeks all baby Khadija did was cry or look unhappy. When I started taking out paper and colored pencils, Khadija started to laugh. She kept on laughing till the end of my session. This meant a lot to me, the fact that I had made child happy- just by being there.
    Name:  18.jpg
Views: 360
Size:  24.4 KB
    An immensely special moment for me at Shaukat Khanum Memorial Cancer Hospital was when I went to the Chemotherapy Bay and met a little girl, Eman. She was the most adorable creature ever and when I talked to her. She gave such cute answers. I remember holding her hand when she was being injected with chemotherapy but she said it didn’t hurt her. Her face was always glowing with the sweetest smile. But the greatest feeling was that she made me feel so good about myself and I felt a little self-pride that I had never felt before. At the end when I was leaving she gave me a kiss on my cheek and I kissed her on her little pink cheeks too. I will never forget that moment.
    Name:  19.jpg
Views: 345
Size:  29.3 KB
    I had many special moments with kids here at Shaukat Khanum but the most memorable moment happened in one of my last days. I went to a kid to talk but he would not, he would not play, nor did he want to colour. When I brought an illustrated story book he showed a flicker of interest and in no time from a grumpy kid he became exuberant. We had a great time, even talked and gave each other high fives. This joyous moment may have come late but it was all the more special.

Views: 355
Size:  79.0 KB
    Volunteer work at Shaukat Khanum Memorial Cancer Hospital and Research Centre was the best thing that has ever happened to me. All the time spent here was cherishable but the best of all those is the time I spent here with a patient named Rania Sharafat. She is the bravest girl that I have ever seen. She is not scared of the needles at all. When I asked her that don’t these injections and drips hurt at all? She replied they do hurt but I don’t like to share my pain, I like to share all the happiness, this is the reason I always keep a smile on my face. These words from her really touched my heart.
    Name:  20.jpg
Views: 364
Size:  45.8 KB
    Name:  21.jpg
Views: 373
Size:  61.5 KB
    Name:  22.jpg
Views: 371
Size:  22.8 KB
    Name:  23.jpg
Size:  46.2 KB
    Name:  24.jpg
Views: 342
Size:  31.0 KB
    Name:  25.jpg
Views: 344
Size:  37.6 KB
    Name:  26.jpg
Views: 359
Size:  48.5 KB
    Name:  27.jpg
Views: 372
Size:  41.6 KB
    During my 2 weeks internship at Shaukat Khanum Memorial Cancer Hospital and Research Centre, I had many heart touching moments, the best I would have to say occurred with a 13 year old girl named Faiqah. Faiqah only spoke Pashto so it was difficult to communicate with her but despite the language barrier I had a really good time her and I could tell she felt the same. I realized that there is no barrier for showing affection despite what language you may speak. I was able to communicate with her and we even did some Math puzzle on paper and English spellings despite the usual playing ludo and coloring. This which really amazed me as she was a bright young girl who was studying in class 8 and the ease at which I could communicate with her was very pleasing. After only 5 mints she really opened up towards me and was laughing and smiling which gave me a lot of inner satisfaction. I also really enjoyed spending time with the younger children but my memory with Faiqah was ultimately the best.
    Shaukat Khanum Memorial Cancer Hospital is doing a great job, the hospital is clean and with polite and patient staff. I feel as though Shaukat Khanum is benefiting many especially as almost 75% children are getting the help and treatment they need free. The hospital is a great help to those suffering from cancer and i hope it will continue to do the great job they are doing so far.
    Name:  28.jpg
Views: 361
Size:  79.1 KB
    In the midst of all the time I've spent at Shaukat Khanum Memorial Cancer Hospital and Research Centre, there was this one moment that captured my heart the most. I remember this little girl who was passing by as I was playing Ludo with other children. Her mother informed me that she just had her chemo. She had the most innocent face but only one eye. I smiled and asked her if she wanted to play, she agreed and sat beside me. Even though she couldn't roll the dice, but my invitation gave her encouragement and so she tried her best to do so. After the game, I knew that I had been the reason for the smile across her face. That feeling cannot be expressed. I envy the staff and the doctors at SKMCH&RC who feel this way every day and I would definitely like to be a part of them someday.
    Name:  29.jpg
Views: 360
Size:  69.7 KB
    During my volunteer work at Shaukat Khanum Memorial Cancer Hospital and Research Centre, I always tried to bring a smile on every child’s face and I think I succeeded on a few occasions. There was a boy named Wasif who was very quiet and saying nothing to anyone. I went to him with Ludo and asked him if he would play with me or not. He shook his head indicating that he was interested. We started playing by the end of the game he was very happy and having fun with me. I feel proud that I made him smile and the little angel is my friend now.
    Name:  30.jpg
Views: 338
Size:  85.2 KB
    During my volunteer work at Shaukat Khanum Memorial Cancer Hospital and Research Centre, I spent fair amount of time at the Gift Shop and really connected with a boy called Hassan. He himself wasn’t receiving treatment; his mother was, however I was touched by his strength and his devotion to attend to her every need. Another little boy that particularly moved me was a child called Abdullah. After spending a couple of days with him, he finally opened up to me, and his mother informed me that surgery hadn’t worked. The physical and mental stamina of Abdullah’s mother really humbled me and I was extremely impressed by the motivation and support the nurses gave to Abdullah and his family. All in all, my work experience at Shaukat Khanum was definitely memorable and very beneficial. This hand on experience is one I would not have received back in London, and I am very grateful to have been honored with this opportunity.
    Name:  31.jpg
Views: 342
Size:  57.9 KB
    Shaukat Khanum Memorial Cancer Hospital and Research Centre was a wonderful experience. Time was short but the moments were memorable of all the kids. Umair my friend was very brave. He was calm during his treatment unlike other kids crying and screaming. He was looking forward to friendship and coming back the next day just to play with us instead of like other ones who were relieved when they left hospital. He was fond of coloring and he always loved it I gave him biscuits. I will miss my brave friend and other kids at SKMCH&RC.

Thread Information