From J.K. Rowling
If you want to know what a man’s like, take a good look at how he treats his inferiors, not his equals.
It is my belief… that the truth is generally preferable to lies.
People find it far easier to forgive others for being wrong than being right.
It is the unknown we fear when we look upon death and darkness, nothing more.
There are all kinds of courage. It takes a great deal of bravery to stand up to our enemies, but just as much to stand up to our friends.
It does not do to dwell on dreams and forget to live.
The consequences of our actions are always so complicated, so diverse, that predicting the future is a very difficult business in deed..

From Mark Twain
Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn’t do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.
Don’t part with your illusions. When they are gone you may still exist but you have ceased to live.
When in doubt tell the truth. It will confound your enemies and astound your friends.
For all the talk you hear about knowledge being such a wonderful thing, instinct is worth forty of it for real unerringness.

From Ayn Rand
To say ‘I love you’ one must first know how to say the ‘I’.
The evil of the world is made possible by nothing but the sanction you give it.
I swear by my life, and my love of it, that I will never live for the sake of another man, nor ask another man to live for mine.

From Theodore Roosevelt
It is not the critic who counts,
not the man who points out how the strong man stumbled,
or where the doer of deeds could have done them better.
The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena,
whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood;
who strives valiantly;
who errs and comes short again and again;
who knows great enthusiasms, great devotions;
who spends himself in a worthy cause;
who, at the best, knows in the end the triumph of high achievement,
and who, at the worst, if he fails, at least fails while daring greatly,
so that his place shall never be with those timid souls
who know neither victory nor defeat.

From Helen Keller
Many persons have a wrong idea of what constitutes true happiness. It is not attained through self-gratification but through fidelity to a worthy purpose.
To know the history of philosophy is to know that the highest thinkers of the ages, the seers of the tribes and the nations, have been optimists. The growth of philosophy is the story of man’s spiritual life.