After the old Nokia 2112, Audiovox UTStarcom XV6700 is my new CDMA phone. But unlike my previous handset, I found it quite hard to set up this huge baby to work as a EV-DO CDMA modem, especially in Windows Vista environment. Finally, after some googling and several hit-and-miss trials, I figured out how to do it.

1. First thing first, download the USB CDMA Modem driver. I only tried it with Windows Vista, but from the included documentation, it seems to work with other Windows version as well. Once downloaded, extract the file to any directory you prefer.
2. Turn on WModem application on XV6700 Pocket PC. Note that if you’re using Verizon Wireless service, check out similar tutorial from Engadget which contains the steps to enable WModem feature on the handset.
To run WModem app:
* Click Start - Programs - File Explorer.
* Move to folder My Device - Windows.
* Click Menu - Show All Files.
* Scroll down and click on WModem icon to run the program.
3. Now connect XV6700 with your PC or laptop using its mini-USB cable. Windows will detect it as a modem and when prompted, use the driver from the downloaded archive above.
4. Finally, create a new VPN Dial Up Connection shortcut from your Windows’ Control Panel - Phone and Modems section. Don’t forget that phone number, username, and password settings are depend on the phone service you’re currently using.