NEW DELHI (AFP) — India's Supreme Court on Monday threw out a case against Bollywood legend Amitabh Bachchan, who stood accused of illegally buying farmland by falsely declaring he was a farmer, a report said.
Bachchan's ownership of land in Uttar Pradesh state -- which his wife represents in parliament -- came under scrutiny after claims he had used his political connections to be designated as a farmer.
In December, the state's high court dismissed the case, citing a lack of evidence, but the state's government appealed to the Supreme Court.
The country's top court rejected the appeal on Monday, the Press Trust of India news agency said, without giving further details.
Many Indian states allow only farmers to purchase agricultural land.
The 65-year-old star abandoned his claim to the plot after accusations that a 1983 certificate identifying him as a farmer was forged, according to media reports.
View more random threads:
- Isha Koppikar Wallpapers
- Aamna Sharif (Photoshoot)
- Full Collection 54th Idea Filmfare Awards...
- Special Chabbis story plot
- Riteish & Tusshar on the sets of 'Pavitra...
- Beautiful And Vibatious Vidya Balan (01)
- Aishwarya Rai (41)
- Now Salman will battle Amitabh and Shah Rukh
- Deepika Padukone dresses simply superb
- Govinda, Sushmita Sen, David Dhawan and...