Vidya Balan has decided to take all criticism and snide remarks about her so-called bizarre sense of dress with a smile. You know, don’t you, that she was ripped apart for what she wore in Guru and Hey Babby, and was plunged into controversy for being possibly the most unfashionable actress in Bollywood. Now Vidya said of her appalling clothes, “They’re just a piece of cloth on my body, yaar. Maybe I had a bad hair day. It’s okay, I’ve learned to take criticism. I guess I was little blase earlier. But I’m glad no one is finding fault with my work. And I’m not under scrutiny for talent.”

‘Work’ is another subject that might draw sniggers from critics with an unkind bent of mind. Because despite Vidya’s forceful entry into Bollywood via Pradeep Sarkar’s Parineeta, and a successful follow-up through Munnabhai, Eklavya and Bhool Bhulaiya, she has not progressed. “Parineeta was special as it was my first film and I was surprised by my acting abilities in Bhool Bhulaiyya,” she admitted, hoping there are still filmmakers like Sarkar who can make her look as beautiful as she did in her debut film. She debunks the belief that every newcomer must have a godfather in Bollywood but acknowledges that Sarkar and Vidhu Vinod were her guiding lights. “It helps to have someone with vested interest in you because life becomes easier,” said Vidya.

The other bit of controversy that kept her in the news was her alleged romance with actor Shahid Kapoor on the sets of Aziz Mirza’s Kismet Connection in Canada. Shahid, who was going through a rough patch with Kareena Kapoor, had apparently turned to the arms of the lovely Vidya. She laughed it off, “We were in Canada for two months and got along like a house on fire. I’m very fond him, we are great friends, but there’s nothing cooking between us. But yes, if there are interesting guys around, I’m single. Otherwise, I’m happy in my own company.” Interesting guys, as in? “George Clooney,” said Vidya with a giggle.