PDA

View Full Version : Try only during your free time...

farmerulz
06-29-2009, 03:22 PM
A series of questions to be answered...

1) I've had a very peculiar life. For the first quarter of my life, I played no sports at all. After that, I only played one sport at a time.

After the first quarter, I played only baseball for ten years. I got tired of that so I switched to only playing tennis for nine years. Next, for the past eight years, I've only been running. How old am I?

2) The year 1978 has an unusual property. When you add the 19 to the 78, the total is the same as the middle two digits (97). What will be the next year to have this same property?

3) Gary began peeling a pile of 44 potatoes at the rate of 3 per minute. Four minutes later, Christen joined him, and peeled at the rate of 5 potatoes per minute. When they were finished, how many potatoes had each peeled?

4) Arrange the numbers 1 through 9 on a tic tac toe board such that the numbers in each row, column, and diagonal add up to 15.

5) A fancy restaurant in London was offering a promotional deal. A married couple could eat at the restaurant for half-price on their anniversary. To prevent scams, the couple would need proof of their wedding date.

One Thursday evening, a couple claimed it was their anniversary, but didn't bring any proof. The restaurant manager was called to speak with the couple. When the manager asked to hear about the wedding day, the wife replied with the following: "Oh, it was a wonderful Sunday afternoon, birds were chirping, and flowers were in full bloom." After nearly 10 minutes of ranting, she comes to tell him that today was their 28th wedding anniversary.

"How lovely", the manager said, "However, you do not qualify for the discount. Today is not your anniversary, you are a liar".

How did the manager know that it wasn't their anniversary?

6) You are stuck in a room. All that is there is a slip of paper on a table, and many bottles. The only exit is guarded by a heat sensor that will not let you out. The only way out is to drink one of the bottles' contents, and the liquid will cool down your body heat (with no harm to yourself) enough so that the heat sensor doesn't detect you anymore. There are nine bottles on the ground beyond the table. The content of the slip of paper will tell you what each of the bottles are. Find out what all the bottles are, and then find out which one to drink to get out.

Three of me are poison, and will kill you if you drink.
Two of me are water, nothing bad will happen with these.
Two of me are wine, and it will only get you drunk.
One will heat you up forever, and this room will never let you out. (hinder)
Only one here will help you, it will cool down your body heat.
No medium bottles are poison.
Wine is bad in large doses, so none are large.
Each of the end bottles have the same contents.
No matter how help hides, it will be on poison's left side, but its left side is safe.
No two small bottles are the same.
The hinderer is harder, for it resides between wine and water.
The hinder bottle is large, so it works forever.
Neither big nor medium will save your life.
Poison is all you will get from the bottle on the far right.
Water is next to the helper.

Bottle Order:
Large--Small--Large--Medium--Small--Large--Medium--Large--Small

7) Someone has stolen a man's wig and has put it in one of four locked boxes. The boxes are numbered from 1,2,3,4 in that order. There are four different keys that each has their own color. Use the clues below to figure out which key goes in which box and to find the box where the man's wig is being kept.

1. The green key goes to the third or fourth box
2. The wig is to the left of the fourth box
3. The wig is to the right of the first box
4. The yellow key is to the left of the wig
5. The blue key is to the right of the yellow key and to the left of the green key
6. The red key goes to the first box

8) Water Lilies
Water lilies double in area every twenty four hours. At the beginning of summer there is one water lily on a lake. It takes sixty days for the lake to become completely covered with water lilies. On what day is it half covered?

9) A hunter arose early, ate breakfast, and headed south. Half a mile from camp he tripped and skinned his nose. He picked himself up, cursing, and continued south. Half a mile farther along he spotted a bear. Drawing a bead, he pulled the trigger, but the safety was on. The bear saw him and headed east at top speed. Half a mile later the hunter caught up, fired, but only wounded the beast, which limped on toward the east. The hunter followed and, half a mile later, caught and killed the bear. Pleased, the hunter walked the mile north back to his camp to find that it had been ransacked by a second bear.

What color was the bear that tore up his camp?

The clues are all there.

Hey friends, I am sorry if few or all the questions are a RE-POST... Newayz, we need to provide the answers to all the questions... I have successfully manged all the 9 answers... Hope you'll enjoy solving them... Luv, Farmerulz...

Muffy
06-29-2009, 03:51 PM
QUESTION 1

answer is 36 years...

Let his 1st quarter be X
out of which he played few mentioned sports
10+9+8 = 27
so X+27 = his age

as he did nothing in the 1st quarter, by trial and error, if we take 36, then 36/4 = 9 (divided by 4 because its one quarter of his age)

and x=9,
9+27 = 36

36 is his age

Muffy
06-29-2009, 03:57 PM
QUESTION 2

i couldnt solve the next year...

i got the previous one

Muffy
06-29-2009, 04:08 PM
QUESTION 3

total were 44 potatoes..
Christen joined him after 4minutes, so Gary had already peeled 12 potatoes, coz 3per minute...and thats y 12 in 4 minutes...

now 32 remain...
for the next minute..
gary 3, christen 5...and so on till they are over...

so gary peels 24 potatoes, and chritsten peels 20

Muffy
06-29-2009, 04:11 PM
still solving the 4th one!!
takes a long time.........

Muffy
06-29-2009, 04:16 PM
QUESTION 5

may be 28 years ago this day was not a sunday!! its only a guess..could be wrong

farmerulz
06-29-2009, 04:23 PM
Excellent Muffy... U r doing a good job... Hey bro, please read the TITLE of these puzzles... U do not have to solve them in a single day... Take ur own sweet time... I am surprised as no one else is making an attempt... Newayz, all the best & again I am happy it's not a Re-Post... Take care, Farmerulz..

(` (Ajnabee) )
06-29-2009, 04:24 PM
hummmmmmmm so muffy u have started
to answer
i will try them ..

farmerulz
06-29-2009, 04:27 PM
QUESTION 5 -- There is pure arithmetic logic in this question... I won't feel ashamed to say that my uncle helped me to solve this question... I am giving u a small hint "Pattern"...

Muffy
06-29-2009, 04:30 PM
6th one soooooooooooo confusing :smt119 :smt119 :smt119 :smt119 :thinking2: :thinking2: :thinking2: :thinking2: :thinking2: :thinking2:

Muffy
06-29-2009, 04:31 PM
QUESTION 5 -- There is pure arithmetic logic in this question... I won't feel ashamed to say that my uncle helped me to solve this question... I am giving u a small hint "Pattern"...

hey i know this is arithmetic logic...
but needs time to calculate...

(` (Ajnabee) )
06-29-2009, 04:33 PM
hummmmmmmmmmm

Muffy
06-29-2009, 04:37 PM
oh sorry.,..i thought he was talking abt the 4th one...

so my 5th answer is wrong??

farmerulz
06-29-2009, 04:42 PM
I am sorry if my msg hurt u Muffy, but bro these are not simple puzzles to be solved just 1 after the other... There are logic behind each 1 of them & it definitely takes a lot of time to solve them... As per your remarks on the 6th Question - the hint is "Neither big nor medium will save your life." I think the 8th & 9th questions are quiet easy... Pure Logic... Newayz, will provide you'll with the answers 2morrow. Have a nice day & Take care... Sorry once again Muffy, BTW - u r doing an EXCELLENT job attempting to solve these puzzles...

(` (Ajnabee) )
06-29-2009, 04:45 PM
WOH everyone is trying to solve..
achi baat hai

Muffy
06-29-2009, 04:55 PM
question 8...
its the 59th day!! coz the next day it doubles

farmerulz
06-30-2009, 11:57 AM
Hey Muffy, do u want me to post the answers?? It's quiet sad that no one tried except you... Though I really appreciate your knowledge...

Muffy
06-30-2009, 12:18 PM
hey wait...let me try the others..

Muffy
06-30-2009, 12:24 PM
i think the 9th one is black...
but what is the logic of the question???

Commondo
06-30-2009, 12:25 PM
Question #7:

1:red

2: Yellow

3: Blue

4: Green

Wig is in 3rd box

AM I right...

Commondo
06-30-2009, 12:28 PM
Question 5,

they came on Thursday...

she started her story saying, It was a Sunday afternoon...

so she was lying...

Muffy
06-30-2009, 12:29 PM
i got wig is in 1st one...

and am still trying the 4th one..

farmerulz
06-30-2009, 12:29 PM
Commando... Well tried, but the ans is wrong... Infact u also need to tell me which box has the wig... Muffy the logic behind the 9th question is "Region"... Ur ans is not right.... Again I am giving u a very good hint for the 5th Question "Re-Occurrence"... Earlier I told you "Pattern"... Work on the same lines...

farmerulz
06-30-2009, 12:37 PM
Excellent Commanod... My mistake & my apologies... Ur answer for the Wig question is right... Congrats... :smt006

Commondo
06-30-2009, 12:46 PM
no issues...

and thanx...

Muffy
06-30-2009, 12:49 PM
may be it has got anything to do with the "beed" and "fired"...
moreover...if he went a mile south,,then a mile east..then it would take him more than a mile north to his camp...
so may be this is too tricky...cant gues..

for the 5th one..may be the couple were not as old as they would celebrate their 28th wedding...its a bit tuff

Muffy
06-30-2009, 12:50 PM
congrats muffy!!

Commondo
06-30-2009, 12:52 PM
for 5th, may be the date does not coincide with the blooming of flowers...something like that...the season...

was the bear white...coz may be he is at north pole...

Commondo
06-30-2009, 12:55 PM
congrats muffy!!

:hehe: :hehe: :hehe:

farmerulz
06-30-2009, 12:56 PM
Quiet cool "Commando"... U got the answer to the 9th question right... The bear was "White"... I appreciate your guess..."Muffy" well tried but the explanation to this was given to me by a friend of mine from IIM Ahmadabad which goes as "White. It is a polar bear, for the North Pole is one of the few places on earth where you can go one mile south, one mile east, and one mile north and still end up at your starting point.".....

Commondo
06-30-2009, 01:01 PM
I thought it from the points that, he tripped n only skinned his nose, he saw only bear there, and he was only against a bear, thats it...

Commondo
06-30-2009, 01:02 PM
And which ones are left...

And Muffy very good...keep going...

farmerulz
06-30-2009, 01:03 PM
Muffy & Commando believe me there is pure mathematics logic in the 5th question.... Please try to focus on the "Re-Occurrence" hint.... After we get the answer it will really be helpful to many of our friends in this forum....

Muffy
06-30-2009, 01:05 PM
congrats muffy!!

haha....i was abt to type commondo...but somehow was absent minded!!!

this time i'll get it right...

congrats commondo!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Muffy
06-30-2009, 01:09 PM
Muffy & Commando believe me there is pure mathematics logic in the 5th question.... Please try to focus on the "Re-Occurrence" hint.... After we get the answer it will really be helpful to many of our friends in this forum....

:khisko: :khisko: :khisko: :khisko: :khisko: :khisko:

Muffy
06-30-2009, 01:09 PM
I thought it from the points that, he tripped n only skinned his nose, he saw only bear there, and he was only against a bear, thats it...

great going you too!!

Commondo
06-30-2009, 01:11 PM
congrats muffy!!

haha....i was abt to type commondo...but somehow was absent minded!!!

this time i'll get it right...

congrats commondo!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

thanx man....a big congrats to you too...

farmerulz
06-30-2009, 01:14 PM
Hey Commando, the below mention questions are still left 2 be answered....

2) The year 1978 has an unusual property. When you add the 19 to the 78, the total is the same as the middle two digits (97). What will be the next year to have this same property?

4) Arrange the numbers 1 through 9 on a tic tac toe board such that the numbers in each row, column, and diagonal add up to 15.

5) A fancy restaurant in London was offering a promotional deal. A married couple could eat at the restaurant for half-price on their anniversary. To prevent scams, the couple would need proof of their wedding date.

One Thursday evening, a couple claimed it was their anniversary, but didn't bring any proof. The restaurant manager was called to speak with the couple. When the manager asked to hear about the wedding day, the wife replied with the following: "Oh, it was a wonderful Sunday afternoon, birds were chirping, and flowers were in full bloom." After nearly 10 minutes of ranting, she comes to tell him that today was their 28th wedding anniversary.

"How lovely", the manager said, "However, you do not qualify for the discount. Today is not your anniversary, you are a liar".

6th Question

Muffy
06-30-2009, 01:16 PM
i gave the answer 1868...but its previous one... but still its correct na :chips: :chips: :chips:

farmerulz
06-30-2009, 01:20 PM
Cool... I appreciate it...

Muffy
06-30-2009, 01:24 PM
hey am still trying tic tac toe...am almost there...so wait till i answer!!

farmerulz
06-30-2009, 01:50 PM
No issues... Take ur own sweet time, I will ask u before posting the answers... Ne luck in completing the Movie Puzzle in the Excel sheet.... Hey Commando did u try the movie puzzle?? I have a similar puzzle on company logos... It's again tough, but waiting for each puzzle to complete, so I can post a new one...

Commondo
06-30-2009, 01:54 PM
where is it...

farmerulz
06-30-2009, 02:01 PM
It's there in the puzzle section titled "Identify the Movies..."... U need to download the Excel sheet and identify the movies.... Pls note that these are all Hollywood Movies...

Commondo
06-30-2009, 02:06 PM
yeah...got it..

and solved the other one too...

Muffy
06-30-2009, 02:23 PM
hey, sorry for the late posting...i was trying to explain how i got it..so took some time...

Firstly i was trying trial and error method..and then came up with a simple logic...

in the 1st pic i placed 9..red color 9 shows that we can place it there...
why...

STEP 1

lets take 9 and other two numbers that add up to 15...
9 + 5 + 1
9 + 4 + 2

9 + 3 + 3...this is invalid because 3 cannot repeat twice
9 + 6....this is invalid coz the result is 15 without a 3rd number..
so now we have 2 SETS for the number 9..

we have to now carefully place 9 such that it does not come into diognal area..(all number falling in diagonal have 3 sets..)

STEP 2

after placing 9, check the sets for 8 and 7...
8 + 6 + 1 7 + 6 + 2
8 + 5 + 2 7 + 5 + 3
8 + 4 + 3

now place 7 so that it is not in diagonal area(as it has only 2 sets)
and based on 7, place 8 so that it is in diagonal area avoiding adding up to 7 and 9 (because that gives more than 15)
7 and 8 marked in red shows we can place them even there...

STEP 3

look at all the sets of 7, 8 and 9...one number is common which is 5..
that means 5 has 3 sets..so, it can be easily placed in the middle so that it can be added to 7, 8 and also 9..

STEP 4

after placement of these 4 digits, we automatically get all other numbers..

Commondo
06-30-2009, 02:30 PM
:clap2: :clap2: :clap2: :clap9:

farmerulz
06-30-2009, 02:33 PM
:smt006 :smt006 Kudos to you.... :hi5: :hi5: U have explained it perfectly... Congrats and well done Bro....

Muffy
06-30-2009, 02:37 PM
:ghul: :ghul: thanks a lot buddies!!

i have an interest in solving math puzzles...
thanks for the question..

now please let us know the other answers...

Commondo
06-30-2009, 02:44 PM
yeah man..roll out the other answers...

farmerulz
06-30-2009, 02:54 PM
K, before the answers a big Congrats to Muffy & Commando for trying to solve many questions...

Answers

The next year to have the same property will be 2307

ANS) The calendar repeats itself every 28 years. So, if they were married on a Sunday 28 years ago, the day they were at the restaurant would also have to be a Sunday. Since it was a Thursday, the manager knew they were lying. Told you bro, "Re-Occurrence".. However, we all will be informed now that a calendar always repeats itself every 28 years...

6) You are stuck in a room. All that is there is a slip of paper on a table, and many bottles. The only exit is guarded by a heat sensor that will not let you out. The only way out is to drink one of the bottles' contents, and the liquid will cool down your body heat (with no harm to yourself) enough so that the heat sensor doesn't detect you anymore. There are nine bottles on the ground beyond the table. The content of the slip of paper will tell you what each of the bottles are. Find out what all the bottles are, and then find out which one to drink to get out.

Three of me are poison, and will kill you if you drink.
Two of me are water, nothing bad will happen with these.
Two of me are wine, and it will only get you drunk.
One will heat you up forever, and this room will never let you out. (hinder)
Only one here will help you, it will cool down your body heat.
No medium bottles are poison.
Wine is bad in large doses, so none are large.
Each of the end bottles have the same contents.
No matter how help hides, it will be on poison's left side, but its left side is safe.
No two small bottles are the same.
The hinderer is harder, for it resides between wine and water.
The hinder bottle is large, so it works forever.
Neither big nor medium will save your life.
Poison is all you will get from the bottle on the far right.
Water is next to the helper.

Bottle Order:
Large--Small--Large--Medium--Small--Large--Medium--Large--Small

ANS) Poison==wine==hinder==water==help==poison==wine==w ater==poison.
Only the middle bottle will save your life.

Gave you'll a hint that "Neither big nor medium will save your life".

Newayz Congrats and I hope we had fun scratching our brains... Thnak u, Farmerulz... :smt006

Muffy
06-30-2009, 03:06 PM
ANS) The calendar repeats itself every 28 years. So, if they were married on a Sunday 28 years ago, the day they were at the restaurant would also have to be a Sunday. Since it was a Thursday, the manager knew they were lying. Told you bro, "Re-Occurrence".. However, we all will be informed now that a calendar always repeats itself every 28 years...

hey i think i gave a very close answer....

i said, 28 years ago the anniversary day was not a sunday...

anyways...thanks for telling abt a new fact abt calenders that i dint know!!

Commondo
06-30-2009, 03:07 PM
Thanx man...

any specific way to calculate the next year, or just trial n error...

I was not aware of this fact "The calendar repeats itself every 28 years"

6th one literally made me mad...

Once again thanx a lot for giving a good exercise to my brain...

Muffy
06-30-2009, 03:29 PM
i tried trial and error for the year calculation..
we can actually write a simple c program for that

Commondo
06-30-2009, 03:39 PM
hhmm....

farmerulz
06-30-2009, 03:49 PM
Nice to know that.... Amazing discovery Muffy...

Muffy
06-30-2009, 03:54 PM
well, i think we can write almost anything with c program..

mar.munas
07-01-2009, 12:29 PM
4 th one
2 9 4
7 5 3
6 1 8

Muffy
07-01-2009, 02:10 PM
welcome munas...